Netflix-Comcast Deal Could Kill Roku and Apple TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
The author is missing the most obvious issue here. Who needs cable? With a modern smart TV (like the Samsung I bought 6 months ago), All these apps/services are available with your internet enabled TV.

Doh.

Nancy Makela

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Why would you want to pay for cable when you can get a roku and only pay 800 a month for the same shows . What does cable cost now 150.00 or more?

Steve Van Loenen

Honorable
May 24, 2013
I have Google fiber as my cable provider and their cable box has netflix on it and I have to say it is a really nice feature to have built into the cable box. The cable box also doubles as i wifi repeater too and the remote is connected via bluetooth. Mix that with my gigabit inter net for a total of 125$ a month. Google is about to change the entire industry. Now it is time for others to catch up.

gmuser

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Slightly overblown - Comcast will not kill AppleTV or Roku, they are already being killed by smart TVs/players ;p

Netflix is already accessible to many people WITHOUT AppleTV or Roku:
any "smart" TV or Bluray player (meaning ANY modern Samsung, LG... TV or player) already have not only Netflix, but Hulu, HBOgo etc ...

While not everyone has those TVs/players (needs 2010+ models usually), in few yeare everyone will have.

But Comcast seems to be first or among first cable operators not afraid to include streaming apps on their box. Samsung/LG and other TV/player producers never had competition issues with Netflix, but cable providers sure do - most cable providers in world also offer their own video-on-demand options, and allowing Netflix directly compete with those (if not with cable core bussiness).

So cudos to Comcast for allowing Netflix in any case ;p

MkvXstream

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
No way will it kill Roku and Apple TV, people don't want to pay $150 a month plus another $8 to add Netflix. They would rather eliminate the $150 cable TV portion and simply buy a Roku and pay $8 for Netflix. For the people that simply can't live without CATV then they may pony up for Netflix although with all the On Demand shows not sure if it's worth doing so.

jeffreyS

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
I hope comcast doesn't get a hold of netflix, prices will skyrocket! There are just so many choices for public and private roku channels at http://www.rokuchannels.tv/ and http://www.roku.com/ that there is really no reason to pay for cable. I like netflix but only because of the superior quality to most of the channels on Roku.

wa2ruff

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Comcast will jack the prices up and subscribers will drop netflix. Plus, a jailbroken Apple Tv will give you anything you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.