Netgear Dual-Band Router Offers Private Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Nice hardware, but it will be likely deemed too complicated by the morons currently being suckered into the likes of the Apple cloud. Only a imbecile pays a company like Apple to store his music and other files, not to mention trusting a nefarious litigiousness parasite as Apple with his personal information.

speakmymind

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I don't understand the fuzz, apple has already made a device that serves the same function, and it's called airport extreme. they cost virtually the same. why would some people choose netgear over apple.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
@johnsmithhatesVLC
Yes, and I'm sure someone will tell you that Apple invented that as well. Just wait. It's just like fishing, some dumb ass will always take the hook. :D

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Accessing readyshare can be done through HTTP and FTP with current gen 3700 model routers.

But I am curious if they added VPN support.

And to top it off they are charging for the app to access the router. Bad move in my opinion.

roagie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Ummm this is not the same as an airport extreme, that comment was ridiculous.

Private cloud?? yay, are we renaming things now? I thought this was just VPN. Also sharing files on your own network is not "cloud" at all. It's called the cloud because when they drew out networks the point beyond your demarc or the "internet" was drawn as a cloud. Anything on your network cannot be part of the "cloud" because TADAAA it's on your network. I guess I'm just old though and unable to "grasp" the new hip lingo being sold to the sheep...

but since we are naming things, I'm gonna rename apple to Hay, because the sheep eat it up.

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
when will people stop buying poorly supported, poorly implemented netgear products? never...too many sheep flocking towards this cruddy company.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]fuxxnuts[/nom]when will people stop buying poorly supported, poorly implemented netgear products? never...too many sheep flocking towards this cruddy company.[/citation]

Thanks... considering all the Apple bashing (you people need to have more sex and stop hating, lol) and this article has nothing to do about an Apple product... My experience with Netgear (personal and client) has been awful! Lack of support and wishy firmware...

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Should be an interest use of setup given the place of interest that has been covering the ideas of "cloud" services. On other ideas would seem to include more built in functions for the idea also at times but still. Being able to hookup a hard drive and probably have additional access of use through the device against your computer is probably fairly handy.

For hundred and eighty dollars though, what can you expect? But of anything at least for rather expensive or not. Netgear Dual-Band Router Offers Private Cloud within a product release.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Thanks... considering all the Apple bashing (you people need to have more sex and stop hating, lol) and this article has nothing to do about an Apple product... My experience with Netgear (personal and client) has been awful! Lack of support and wishy firmware...[/citation]

So... Tom's is editing forum posts. My entire post was cut short.... I've asked a forum moderator why my post was edited to only include one line...

G

Probably because NetGear advertises on the site and you didn't have great stuff to say? Yes interesting way to advertise a feature by labeling it "cloud"?. I too am skeptical about NetGear after spending two hours trying to get the router working both wired or wireless and then being told well go get another one , looks like hardware failure and call us back and we'll trouble shoot again.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
This router isn't much different than the WNDR3700 that came before it.

WNDR3700v1 has 8 MB of Flash and 64 MB of RAM
WNDR3700v2 has 16 MB of Flash and 64 MB of RAM
WNDR3800 has 16 MB of Flash and 128 MB of RAM

All of them have the same processor.

G

680MHz isnt going cut it if your going use this thing as a 'cloud' file server especially considering that it's a USB based interface (which will always add processing overhead)

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I own[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Thanks... considering all the Apple bashing (you people need to have more sex and stop hating, lol) and this article has nothing to do about an Apple product... My experience with Netgear (personal and client) has been awful! Lack of support and wishy firmware...[/citation]

For residential use: I used to use a WGM124 pre-n router. Until, I found out after 5 minutes of using it the NAT table filled up and the router locked up. Calls to netgear, useless. Went to their forums, and found a forum post with someone having the same issue. We did R&D for netgear, pointed out what the issue was, only to have them delete the entire thread, since it reflected badly on them. Also, they discontinued the product weeks later after initial launch, leaving us all in the DARK and SOL.

For corporate use, I have a whole bunch of 7352Sv2 switches, which are supposed to be the flagship switch for netgear. Firmware bites, you can brick it very easily, and it's a PITA to configure. They tried to make their CLI interface look like cisco, except without 80% of the functionality.

Stay away...you'll be sorry if you dont.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
This is pretty similar to NAS, wonder why they've started calling it "the cloud".

[citation][nom]K-zon[/nom]Should be an interest use of setup given the place of interest that has been covering the ideas of "cloud" services. On other ideas would seem to include more built in functions for the idea also at times but still. Being able to hookup a hard drive and probably have additional access of use through the device against your computer is probably fairly handy. For hundred and eighty dollars though, what can you expect? But of anything at least for rather expensive or not. Netgear Dual-Band Router Offers Private Cloud within a product release.[/citation]

This is the most human comment i've read from this guy. Though it still didn't make much sense at all...

G

@ojas

i believe he is actually a top secret Chinese AI algorithm on the verge of sentient thought, the first time i read one of his post my brain threw a general exception fault and locked up

if it judges humanity on the demographics of this website i think eradication would be our next stop.....

Status
Not open for further replies.