New 3DS Suffering 'Black Screen of Death'

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Not shocked. While the 3DS will eventually reign supreme, people just aren't interested in the 3D aspect. And lets face it, the DS/DSi library is gigantic right now, so there isn't much reason to upgrade at this juncture.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]Not shocked. While the 3DS will eventually reign supreme, people just aren't interested in the 3D aspect. And lets face it, the DS/DSi library is gigantic right now, so there isn't much reason to upgrade at this juncture.[/citation]

But if 3DS is backwards compatible, that shouldn't be a problem for new DS gamers?
Nevertheless, BSoD will put a lot of people off.

G

It's just too expensive, when the price drops under 200$ and more games are available it will sell well.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
compared to the leap nintendo made with the gameboy color-gameboy advance and advance-ds, this is a minor leap...

the grpahics are similar to the original PSP and since there is that new 3d gimmick, im assuming many developers are gonna forget about the awesome 2d platformers we used to have, and decide to stick in some lame 3d graphics... NGP is around the corner, and sony has my support assuming it turns out awesome and they dont shaft the customers.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]So who said this is better than the iPad? lol[/citation]
I'd rather have a 3DS, which will likely get fixed pretty soon, than an iPad, which costs twice as much and is crippled by design and can do less than my phone can do.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
It costs too much, especially when you consider how many Nintendo handhelds are in the hands of kids. If you have two or three kids and want to buy them all one, that's a big chunk of money. It's too expensive for a toy.

anthonyla65

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]I'd rather have a 3DS, which will likely get fixed pretty soon, than an iPad, which costs twice as much and is crippled by design and can do less than my phone can do.[/citation]
My iPad can do more than a 3DS with a better battery life. Not really, the iPad is £320 now, only £90-100 more than a 3DS which have games that cost £39.99. iPad apps are £0.59-£5.99.

Not being a hater of the 3DS but this is just a PSP quality graphics console with 3D and touch screen. It doesn't last as long as the old DS. With the NGP coming round which has a Quad Core and near PS3 levels graphics and just better suited games for my age range, I think I'll pass the 3DS and go for that instead.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The device has been out less than 48 hours. This also isn't the usual Christmas season causing rushes and trampling, so I can't imagine how many immediate sales they expect. This is really a wait and see type of system though. Some people couldn't care less about the 3d aspect, some are waiting to see how well it works and if any side effects will occur. Most of the people who are rushing to get one are the people who have already tried it out and were impressed. While I'm not surprised at the lack of immediate sales, I"ll be surprised if the 3DS isn't on a lot of Christmas lists by the end of the year.

UNLESS

The BSoD issue turns out to be a big deal. It might turn out to be a long term issue, it might be fixed in a quick update, or it might just be the rumored piracy brick and people returning them are just liars. No one walking in is going to go "I put my Acekard in and now the system doesn't work", so we'll see how that goes.

Can't wait for XBox fanboys to try and jump in on this though. At least the 3ds is usually not fried forever, huh?

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
3D isn't something people are excited about? When the hell did humanity grow up and get boring? I've been waiting for this since the first time I read a 3D comic book [The rocketeer, circa ~1995] and looked in one of those old 3D viewfinders you can get at the smithsonian.

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]compared to the leap nintendo made with the gameboy color-gameboy advance and advance-ds, this is a minor leap... the grpahics are similar to the original PSP...NGP is around the corner, and sony has my support assuming it turns out awesome and they dont shaft the customers.[/citation]

1. Please, I dare you to compare the Snake Eater demo for 3DS to Portable Ops or Peace Walker. It takes a giant deuce all over them. The 3DS is leaps and bounds above what the PSP can do when it's utilized properly.

2. Sony has a nice long history of shafting their customers as hard as they can and as often as they can. Granted, firing Ken Kutaragi was a huge start, but this is the company that told the USAirForce that "Well, you bought a bunch of our units for a server, but we're discontinuing linux on the console and not providing you with any more updates." And then the PS3 got hacked anyway. D'oh!

As for Nintendo: They have a long record of making the most durable hardware. I've seen maybe two Gamecubes die, and Sony's PS2 was a joke. I once dropped my ds over a dock at the lake, we dove in, fished it out, and it arose three days later like a gaming savior. Try that with a PSP.

The real issue with sales here is: The awful launch titles. There are maybe two worth buying, and kids all over the US just got Pokemon Black and White. They don't need Pilotwings, as cool as reinventing that franchise is for us old folks.

But if anyone here actually gives a rat's ass about portable gaming, they'll remember that the ds launch was just as awful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_launches That turned around to be arguably the best system ever made, and easily the best selling.

Give them time.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
gah Ramar just beat me to it mentioning the launch titles, I mean who would want to pay $290 to play one game right now. heck for that price I could build a car out of scrap I could probably even buy my own chisel and hammer to do the metalwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.