New Acer Aspire E 15 Shutting Off, No BSOD or Freezing, Instant Off Crash

mhovingh

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I have a new Acer laptop running Win 10 that, after about a week, has started crashing frequently. Not BSOD or freezing, just instant power off. It can be booted right up with a single tap of the power button after it crashes.

I have installed very little software and nothing odd, all common stuff. I have made no hardware changes and have only hooked up a USB Wireless Mouse.

I got a temp monitor and temps are fine. Nothing over 50C. I ran the Win 10 built in memory test and it passed. I used Acer's bundled Care Center software and both SSD and Battery test fine.

Event Viewer has occasional Warnings, Kernel-Processor-Power Event ID 37.

Event Viewer has piles of Warnings, WHEA-Logger Event ID 17.

Event Viewer provides Error, Event Log ID 6008 after each crash.

Event Viewer provides Critical, Kernel-Power ID 41 after each crash.

----------

Thank you to everyone who takes a look at this. I am extremely frustrated and quite depressed at this point. I am really hoping someone has a solution I can use to fix it that isn't sending it back. This is the 4th laptop I have gotten, a replacement for a replacement for a replacement. I am sick of just getting settled into a machine and then having problems. If I didn't need the portability for work, I would never touch these horrid things again and would be completely happy with desktops.

Solution

cfortney

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

Have you posted on the Acer community? I own an Acer laptop, no problems with it but any time I needed help with it I posted on there and got helpful responses pretty quickly. One issue I did have was the laptop not booting after I opened it to install an SSD. Turns out it would not power on unless every screw was completely turned into the case on the bottom. Probably not related to your issue, but make sure you've got all your screws and they are firmly set.

Solution

mhovingh

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Thank you for the reply. I don't have any problems powering on, just with unplanned powering off. The info is good to know for the future though if I end up sticking with this model and wanting to upgrade it.

I have not asked on the Acer community yet. I did contact support but got what I expected from it... instructions to reset it to factory and, if that didn't work, to send it in for 2 weeks because the rep said it was almost certainly a bad battery. I am just hoping that there is an alternative option offered by someone here that I can do myself. My mind is telling me there is no way and that my bad luck is continuing with number 4 here, but if there is even a sliver of hope I wanted to give it a shot and ask here.

Demyzza

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016