New Android Trojan Records Phone Conversations

Status
Not open for further replies.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Amazing. This is what serious phone users are dreaming off. An app to record phonecalls! Where is this "trojan". I've been looking for a call-recording solution on Android for ages! Never found one.

Funny that manufacturers always claim that recording calls "isn't possible due to hardware constraints" yet suddenly "there's a virus that record calls". Who's fooling who here? If this is "the Android market" then I'm glad I bought a Nokia Symbian device. This CAN record phonecalls without needing a virus :)

G

jacobdrj, please do not lump Android and iPhone together. That's misleading. Android is an OS on many different kinds of phones, an iPhone is a smart phone. Different companies, different ways of handling apps.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
There are 2 uses for this virus, to it's writer:
1) With solid voice recognition, you could pull a lot of important identity information from people. SS#s, credit card #s, etc...
2) In a really scary place, these recordings can be used to target certain people. Voiced can be reproduced when there is sufficient recorded voice material present (see Ebert, the movie critic).

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]backwardseb[/nom]jacobdrj, please do not lump Android and iPhone together. That's misleading. Android is an OS on many different kinds of phones, an iPhone is a smart phone. Different companies, different ways of handling apps.[/citation]
And where does BlackBerry fall in your assessment?

There are still far more quality [free] apps for Android and iOS devices than there are for BlackBerrys. Hence the more secure BlackBerry OS having some value over it's major competitors, which is why I at least feel a little safer using one over an Android/iPhone...

I would still prefer and Android/iPhone (iOS device that includes access to cellular phone networks...)

G

I too have been looking for an app that will record phone conversations. I (heard) that none exist because it is illegal to record a conversation someone in the USA without notifying them first. Hence the "This call may be recorded for training purposes" when you call a tech center.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Or you can just do like every user that connects their devices to the internet should do. Install an anti spyware/ anti-virus application, and firewall application on their phone. I still don't see what the point of creating a virus that saves conversations to your memory card does, unless some sneaky husband/wife created this to spy on their significant other. You still need physical access to the device to recover the files.

jojesa

Distinguished
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]Amazing. This is what serious phone users are dreaming off. An app to record phonecalls! Where is this "trojan". I've been looking for a call-recording solution on Android for ages! Never found one....[/citation]
I have been using Tape-a-Talk to record phone calls on Android phones for a while now. This app can record notes, voice memos also. You could save the files in wave, pcm and 3gp format.

As soon as I'm finish recording I moved the file to a PC...just in case :)

humbi83

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
See CallRecored & rVoix. You need patched kernel for them. All others use mic/speaker feedback.

Don't install everything that ends in apk and do look at the permissions required before pressing accept (these are not phones anymore but PCs with phone call functionality, please be aware of that -> If you don;t like it buy a dumb phone e.g. somewhere in the area of a Nokia 1100).

leper84

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]blitz1904[/nom]I too have been looking for an app that will record phone conversations. I (heard) that none exist because it is illegal to record a conversation someone in the USA without notifying them first. Hence the "This call may be recorded for training purposes" when you call a tech center.[/citation]

Not throughout the entire country, varies state to state. Businesses do it in every state to CYA. Some states you have to tell the person you are recording; and in other states only one person in the conversation (ie you) has to know its being recorded.

G

come on seriously it's not that hard for this thing to evolve, considering the phone number for lets say Bank of America is universal, or maybe NewEgg.com you sure as heck arent going be calling those numbers just to gossip, a smart variation of this will only trigger a recording if a known prime number has been dialed, there's enough information in a phone call to Bank of America to comprise nearly any account you may have any where else, if that doesn't worry you then enjoy your cave....

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]backwardseb[/nom]jacobdrj, please do not lump Android and iPhone together. That's misleading. Android is an OS on many different kinds of phones, an iPhone is a smart phone. Different companies, different ways of handling apps.[/citation]

Someone is kissing apple butt....

Status
Not open for further replies.