Question New Asus laptop - yellow screen issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentmonkey

Great
Dec 5, 2020
I've just purchased a new Asus Vivobook laptop with AMD Radeon graphics on board.

Upon starting, for a few seconds, anything up to 10, the screen has very vibrant whites.

Then anywhere from 1-10 seconds later, the screen develops a yellow tinge. If I right click on the desktop, and choose 'display' it immediately resets the whites back to bright white as soon as that menu loads, without any changes being made. They will then remain bright whites unless I change an option (such as resolution, etc.) whereupon they will go yellow again. Unless you right click and choose display properties.

It's similar to the night light, but not that (I have turned that off just to check, but after 21:00 it dims regardless of whether the screen is yellow tinge or bright white at that point).

I've tried setting up a new colour profile, and as soon as you restart it does the same thing.

It's driving me mad. If anyone has a solution, I will bestow a thousand virtual Jaffa cakes at your feet.

kentmonkey

Great
Dec 5, 2020
If you connect an external display, does this behavior occur there as well?

What specific model do you have?
Good test. So just tried plugging in a monitor, and it doesn't change. Both laptop and monitor remain bright white (although actually laptop 'whites' are nowhere near the whites of the monitor's). As soon as you pull the monitor HDMI lead out.....the laptop screen goes a lot yellower.

Right click, choose display settings, reverts back to much whiter.

It's an Asus Vivobook X512DA.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you have MyAsus Splendid installed? If so, does it set display settings?

kentmonkey

Great
Dec 5, 2020
Do you have MyAsus Splendid installed? If so, does it set display settings?

I do have MyAsus installed. It's not called Splendid, but I do have MyAsus.

Oh, hello! I think we might have a winner here!

I've just gone into that and despite being on 'manual', when you click on that setting again, it instantly turned it yellow.

So I've just moved it up a lot further to the blue scale, and that seems to have fixed it.

I won't know until I can restart (and about 10mins into a 2hour data transfer so that's going to be a while) but....you might just have solved it.

I'll report back later!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I do have MyAsus installed. It's not called Splendid, but I do have MyAsus.

Oh, hello! I think we might have a winner here!

I've just gone into that and despite being on 'manual', when you click on that setting again, it instantly turned it yellow.

So I've just moved it up a lot further to the blue scale, and that seems to have fixed it.

I won't know until I can restart (and about 10mins into a 2hour data transfer so that's going to be a while) but....you might just have solved it.

I'll report back later!
Fingers crossed. Good luck.

kentmonkey

Great
Dec 5, 2020
Haven't had a chance to restart yet but even setting the setting in myasus to full blue, it's still not as vibrant as when you right click and choose display settings.

Is it better if I uninstall it? Will I lose anything?
I'm assuming function keys etc will still work?

kentmonkey

Great
Dec 5, 2020
Unfortunately that hasn't worked.

I've uninstalled MyAsus and I still get a yellow tinge change in screen about 15s after booting.

It remains if you simply restart the system, but if you turn off, wait a few seconds and turn on again, it does the same 15s of brilliant white and then yellow tinge comes in.

So that's ruled out MyAsus Splendid, as it's been nuked.

kentmonkey

Great
Dec 5, 2020
I've just changed the kelvin rating within the AMD controller to 9.2k (from 6.5k) and it's that.

It now changes when you restart, after the 15s wait, but it's a very, very small amount now. The screen doesn't go a horrible nicotine yellow anyway. I think 10k might be even closer, which is the max, so I might try that.

Quite why it needs to be set that high makes no sense to me though.

kentmonkey

Great
Dec 5, 2020
No I turned that off, thinking it might be the adaptive brightness.

So it's the same brightness regardless of lighting conditions in the room.

Interestingly I turned off 'amd colour temperature' in the settings and it goes very yellow when you reset the machine. When I set it higher up the kelvin scale, it seems to be a lot closer to how it looks when you first turn it on.

Ideally I'd like it slightly less blue/white than when it first comes on, but not as yellow as it defaults to. But ideally so that it's the same, constant, image, so you don't have a sudden, noticeable, change in colour 15-30s after turning on. Or it changing and going blue-white whenever you go into display settings.

kentmonkey

Great
Dec 5, 2020
Just powered down, restarted....back to yellow tint coming in, even with the kelvin turned up to 10k.

It seems to be a fairly common issue (I've found numerous threads across the internet about it), but I just can't find a way to fix it, For some people uninstalling Asus Splendid fixed it. But for me it's still going very yellow, at least compared to the image it starts with (and returns to if you go into display settings).

It's otherwise a very nice laptop, for my needs anyway. But this is really, really bugging me.

kentmonkey

Great
Dec 5, 2020
I might try that. My experience of contacting manufacturers before is that they'll typically not know, and just suggest reinstalling or returning. Neither of which I really want to do after transferring data for 6 hours yesterday.

But I'll contact them tomorrow and see what they say.

I turned the night light option fully down (I had disabled it, but also turned its effect all the way down) and that seemed to solve it last night. I restarted and no yellow tinge happened.

Turned the laptop on this morning, and the yellow tinge is back.

May 5, 2021
I might try that. My experience of contacting manufacturers before is that they'll typically not know, and just suggest reinstalling or returning. Neither of which I really want to do after transferring data for 6 hours yesterday.

But I'll contact them tomorrow and see what they say.

I turned the night light option fully down (I had disabled it, but also turned its effect all the way down) and that seemed to solve it last night. I restarted and no yellow tinge happened.

Turned the laptop on this morning, and the yellow tinge is back.

COULD YOU PLEASE SHARE ME YOUR RESPONSE FROM ASUS? I have exactly the same problem as yours. this is bugging me sooooo much.

thanks

kentmonkey

Great
Dec 5, 2020
COULD YOU PLEASE SHARE ME YOUR RESPONSE FROM ASUS? I have exactly the same problem as yours. this is bugging me sooooo much.

thanks
I can.

I was disappointed to be honest. They didn't accept that it was a common issue (despite finding lots of posts on various forums about this same issue with that model of laptop, which I sent some examples of) and their only response was to send it back for repair.

A repair isn't needed, it's something to do with the software that is causing the issue.

I managed to get round it by disabling their Asus software in Msconfig, but I have to do this each and every time there's a Win update (although it says it's still disabled, I have to enable and disable it again otherwise the yellow tint comes back) and it also then stops all the hotkeys working as intended. So volume, Home, etc all then require the FN key to be pressed to use them.

It's not a satisfactory resolution really, and I was disappointed in Asus' response, acceptance and knowledge of the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.