New Dell XPS 13 2015 - Plugged in not charging

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raskoj

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015
Heyo guys I have the new Dell xps 13 and I've only had it a couple months, it was working perfectly and all off a sudden I got the plugged in not charging issue I have no idea what to do.

Balrog49

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
I've seen this happen several times. I've swapped out the battery and it makes no difference. The only way I've been able to fix the problem is to replace the motherboard. Run diagnostics and see if anything shows up.

Kim_1111_

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Since it's still under warranty I would contact Dell They will most likely send you a new AC adapter and if that doesn't work they should replace the motherboard. That seems to be the culprit in the majority of cases. And sorry !

Quadbravo

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
XPS 13 9343. Bought March of 2015. Loaded. 8 GB RAM; i7 2.4 GHz. Win 8.1 500GB SSD

Got the Plugged in not charging message in March 2016.

Tried unistall of ACPI Compliant Control software and reinstall using "find new hardware" = No change
Tried battery removal and power button on for 15 sec = No change
Diagnostics test for battery and power = nothing found
Replace Battery = No change
Updated BIOS = No change

I have a 3 year warranty with next business support/pro support/labor support through Mar 2018. I have no idea what all that crap means but I bought it because no matter what I spend on a PC it always sucks. Very few don't suck. Anything I own is guaranteed to suck after 4-9 months. Ok, this one got to 12 months. Big deal. Spent like 3K with every hardware and support option.

My point is if you have this issue, you're wasting time buying batteries and power supplies thinking you going to get a 1 day quick fix. Pretty sure this is grounding issue or Mother Board.

Tomorrow I'm calling Dell and they better solve this fricken fast. Given all the web chat on this topic they should have just sent me an email saying, hey, we f'd up our design so get ready for some serious crap or here's the fix. Toyota does that with their cars. PC companies should too. More later.

Quadbravo

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Contacted Dell. Mother Board and DC will be replaced in 24 hours. Support was pretty fast, next day on site at my house, so maybe the extra money paid off here.

Quadbravo

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Tech showed up and replaced dc input jack and motherboard. No change. Dell Depot sending box as PC now has to be shipped to them. Unbelievable.

pixlhh

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016
I'm having the same problem (battery not charging) on a 2016 XPS 13 9350 i7 16GB RAM 512 SSD. Was able to fix it temporarily by doing a checkup & system scan with SupportAssist, but now back to the old problem. System is supplied with enough power to do work, but battery is not charging. Any idea how to reset battery statistics without disassembling the device?

UPDATE: DELL technician came along in South Portugal and had to replace complete mainboard. Seems like the power adapter sensing is soldered directly onto the mainboard, one tiny SMD part there looked smoked.

Todd_19

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Let me save you a couple of hours and tons of frustration. Dell will not honor their warrenty and put you through many hoops before you actually realize this. I wasted almost 2 hours on their help line, sent photos, sent proof of purchase (4 months old) and elevated to two levels. They finally told me that the "account name" they have for my computer does not match me...?!?. Then they told me to go to a web site to "transfer ownership" but would not tell me the name of the account and admitted I could not fill out the form without that info....

This is how they manage the warranty program. I wasted $500 bucks because they will not spend $20 bucks to solve a problem that happen frequently. No wonder so many hate Dell.

jonathan12

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015
Not really a solution, I had the same non charge issues; the charger terminal failed quick which required a harness that worked.

Then more charging issues.

Then the power Button died and I have to activate the membrane switch with a specific diameter in a specific vector.

So I got my info off; took the SSHD out and mailed the thing back to Dell Inc.
1 Dell Way
Round Rock, Texas 78682.

RMA # 2bad4DellandI

VenkateshJN

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
This worked for me. Thank You!

sjk12

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
For what it's worth, I've been having this problem for a few days and came across this Reddit thread today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/4zka9r/xps_15_9550_bios_1213_battery_plugged_in_not/?st=iskhbtf5&sh=4306d675

I tried the suggestion to roll back your BIOS to 1.1.19, and it worked! My laptop's happily charging now. Probably not helpful to those of you who have completely dead batteries already, but it's worth a shot if you've got enough juice. BIOS update can be found here: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03486977M/1/XPS_9550_1.1.15.exe

cphfrm29

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
Problem solved for my Dell xps 13 9343 not charging. After having disconnected the internal battery and carefully checked the DC input connector I almost gave up. But inspired by reading this thread I looked carefully at the power supply and found that the DC connector, which looks very much like a classic DC connector, it is not a 2 wire connector. When looking carefully into the center of the connector there is a small hidden pin. This pin was bend. When I by using a screw driver moved the pin back to it right position in the center of the connector everything worked perfectly. The battery was charged again.

Status
Not open for further replies.