New Firefox Alpha Provides Faster JavaScript

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]TidalWaveOne[/nom]C'mon! How about a Windows x64 release?[/citation]

The problem with x64 web surfing is not with browser developers, but rather adobe. Until they release x64 flash, there is no point to use 64bit browser. M$ tries that and failed. I haven't heard anybody using 64bit IE ever.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]The problem with x64 web surfing is not with browser developers, but rather adobe. Until they release x64 flash, there is no point to use 64bit browser. M$ tries that and failed. I haven't heard anybody using 64bit IE ever.[/citation]
I think I have the 64 bit one installed on my desktop. I mostly use firefox, but still...

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]The problem with x64 web surfing is not with browser developers, but rather adobe. Until they release x64 flash, there is no point to use 64bit browser. M$ tries that and failed. I haven't heard anybody using 64bit IE ever.[/citation]

Firefox has already done so on the linux platform. x64 browser runs flash fine. and adobe could come up to date imo. Flash eats tons of processor speed, and would probably benefit greatly from being re-coded and running full x64 support.

G

"Webkit, an open-source web browser layout engine that originated with Apple's Safari browser."

That line seems to imply that Apple invented webkit, which they did not. Webkit began as part of the KDE desktop environment for Linux. I'm not sure how much(if at all) Apple contributes back to the webkit project, but anybody here who doesn't think Apple steals code from Linux and marginally reworks it into being "original" code is either a fanboy or just plain stupid. Not only are they stingy with their intellectual property, but they have no respect for other people's intellectual property, since the license for Linux makes it clear that it can't be made closed-source.

See:

http://webkit.org/

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Everything I've been reading about Flash is that they're going to have it start accessing the GPU, instead of being dedicated to the CPU, like it is currently. That and they're seriously trimming the fat out of it to get it to run on mobile devices.

G

We need an open standard to replace Flash, flash is a bit crap, and it has plenty of potential for abuse. AFAIK, there's that new HTTP standard that allows for video, hopefully it can be fully adopted and replace flash completely...

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Javascript was already like a million times faster on Firefox than IE and every version is like 10 times faster than the last, it must have been pretty poor code in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.