New Graphics card, Rear fan is stiff and makes a very loud buzzing noise when moving

EllieYo

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
I recently got in my possesion a sapphire 7970GHZ just yesterday But i was aware that the rear fan was not working though i presumed it was just non functioning, However as soon as i look at it and touched the fans i noticed the rear fan on it was stiff to move and though moveable it wont spin, However when i put it in my computer it did spin however it made a huge buzzing noise and was surging like mad.

any idea on how to fix it? maybe i could use some WD40 on it or something?.

i do have a spare sapphire fan but you know taking apart a graphics card is the last thing i want to do :'D.

delaro

Distinguished
You need a new fan, Sapphire is bad about using crappy ones at least from every card I have owned. There is no fixing these fans they are Brushless and bearingless, the issue is the plastic warps and distorts the Coil causing them to stick.

Sets are cheap, I usually replace both because the other normally dies a few months after the first.

New Sapphire HD6970 HD7970 HD7950 HD7870 HD7850 HD6970 HD6850 Video Card Fan $19.77
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sapphire-HD6970-HD7970-HD7950-HD7870-HD7850-HD6970-HD6850-Video-Card-Fan-/271763362619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f465bd33b

delaro

Distinguished
You need a new fan, Sapphire is bad about using crappy ones at least from every card I have owned. There is no fixing these fans they are Brushless and bearingless, the issue is the plastic warps and distorts the Coil causing them to stick.

Sets are cheap, I usually replace both because the other normally dies a few months after the first.

New Sapphire HD6970 HD7970 HD7950 HD7870 HD7850 HD6970 HD6850 Video Card Fan $19.77
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sapphire-HD6970-HD7970-HD7950-HD7870-HD7850-HD6970-HD6850-Video-Card-Fan-/271763362619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f465bd33b

EllieYo

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
I actually have the replacement fans :D, though i could just disconnect the rear fan and use the front fan just fine though with a little extra noise?
I'm just a bit intimidated with taking a graphics card apart ^^;

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ansh.barman17 Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 1
C Laptop General Discussion 1
SLY At Laptop General Discussion 1
Varun_Sharma8054 Laptop General Discussion 0
S Laptop General Discussion 6
S Laptop General Discussion 3
O Laptop General Discussion 5
Catdog420 Laptop General Discussion 1
dizzycheese2234 Laptop General Discussion 1