New laptop gpu and cpu temps

nazey_

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I have a Eluktronics N850HP6. It's got a 1060 and an i7-7700hq. Both of which seem to be overheating, with the gpu hitting consistent 90c and the cpu 85c, only after 5 minutes of gaming. This laptop is 2 days old.

Are these safe temperatures?

Check if any windows services are running like superfetch or windows update as it is a new laptop, it will try and get the latest updates for all the drivers for your laptop. Also check if you have any bloatware as this can cause the problem as well.

nazey_

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

What model do you have?

nazey_

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

Tried uninstalling a couple of things to no avail. If I throw the fan speed % up to 80% the temperatures are fine, but obviously this could harm the lifespan of them.

Forgot to mention this temperature issue goes away as soon as I unplug the charger from the laptop, but then there are performance issues that I cannot seem to pinpoint. I believe the laptop battery cannot handle the gpu and cpu at maximum usage without the charger.

i have the v17 nitro with the i7-7700hq with gtx 1060.with turbo boost disable i manage to max out at 80c - 82c on cpu and avg around 75c at most.and gpu can stay below 70c(except for mafia 3 which drive my gpu to a max of 80c at max settings).with -135v undervolt on the cpu i can keep the boost on and still have the same temp in most game like when the boost was off.so i guess u need to do a little bit of tweaking.

I have never heard of this brand, is the thermal paste put on properly and does the brands have a reputation of having weak cooling systems? Also is this laptop designed for gaming or is it a multimedia laptop that is capable of gaming as this can make a difference.

i did a little research and this laptop is for gaming purposes and built on clevo chassis.they are trying to be the best bang for your buck type of manufacturer.i have nver heard of this model as well.it sounded more like a microwave oven at 1st XD.

nazey_

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

Yeah, I got this for a steal haha. I did some more research and undervolted my cpu (so far to 110mv) and my cpu maxed out at 82c and my gpu at 86c-ish while playing the witcher 3 for about 30 minutes. So, a little improvement, but I feel like I can undervolt a little more and possibly get better temperatures.

usually this comes down to the laptop cooling capabilities itself.try a repaste and if that doesnt help as well then the cooling solution is to blame.

nazey_

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

I would repaste, but I'm not about to void my warranty within a week of getting the thing. These temperatures only get this bad when playing the witcher 3 (so far). Games like csgo dont get the gpu higher than 61c and the cpu again maxes out at around 80c, but hovers in the 70s.

i believe your heatsink pipes/spreader is shared between the gpu and cpu.so yeah either one temp rise the other will follow.