New laptop making noise?

Nov 17, 2018
I noticed that my recently bought Dell G3 15 was making some sort of grinding noise. I can only hear it when it's quiet and it doesn't affect the laptop's performance. I did a quick test and nothing showed up and everything was fine. Before I noticed the noise, I opened up my laptop because I tried to upgrade my ram, but I couldn't since it wasn't compatible. The noise can be heard coming from the lower right side of the laptop, where the vent thing is. It's either the hard drive, or I may have not tighten the screws correctly (I didn't have the proper screwdriver)

Near the large vent? That'll most likely be a cooling fan that you can hear -- may get louder (spins faster) when laptop is doing something that's resource intensive. All quite normal.

Always use the correct type & size of screwdriver for the job in hand -- especially on a laptop. Using wrong size or type of screwdriver is just plain bad practice except where it's an emergency.

Nov 17, 2018
@Philip I don't think so. It's coming from the tiny vent on the edge of the laptop. The fans work properly, they do get louder when running games. But that doesn't bother. Usually the noise gets covered up by the fans.