New laptop needed

raider67

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
I'm looking at replacing my current laptop as I have cracked the screen on the current one.
Being in Australia, my choices are limited for my price range. It will be used for work and play as I don't own a desktop system, nor do I want one. I don't need to run new games on ultra settings but something reasonable would be good.
I've narrowed my choices to the following. They are similarly priced. My main concerns are build quality and reliability. I don't want to have issues where I have to spend hours on the phone. I've heard some horror stories from some of the Alienware guys. Not so much either way from the clevo camp. I realize that some are just going to be bad regardless of the brand, but I like to cut down the odds when I can.

They are choice are:

Alienware 15 r2
i5-6300HQ
8gb ram
1TB @ 7200 rpm HDD
965M 2gb GPU
15" FHD IPS screen
1 yr warranty

Clevo N170RD
i7-6700HQ
16gb ram
250gb SSD
960m 2gb GPU
17" FHD matte screen
2 yr warranty

I can get a decent deal on a lenovo y700 til month end. Probably be about $250 bucks cheaper. Heard some bad things about the reliabilty though.
i5-6300hq
960M 4gb GPU
1TB @5400rpm HDD
8GB ram
15" screen

I've never owned any of these brands so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Solution

They both seems to have only 2gb of vram... Im warning you that your laptop is not future proof, but if you cant find a laptop with a gpu that has more or equal to 4gb of vram ill help you choose between these two.

I have to say the Metabox is a great laptop, overall it seems better but the Alien 15 has a better gpu which is more needed to run games. Also, you could probably replace the RAM on both of them, but im specifically talking about the Alien 15 becuase of the 2x 4gb RAM sticks and probably replace the Storage.

Matias_4

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
@BadActor

I currently have the laptop you suggested and I feel like the CPU is holding the GPU back. If you currently have that laptop too, could you tell me your thoughts? And with the price range of the laptops hes thinking of buying I suggested laptops around his price range.

raider67

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
There was a similar Dell 7559 on sale here a recently. The i5 and 960M version. Just a 1tb HDD though. It seemed good value but couldn't pull the trigger on it for some reason.

Matias_4. If you feel the i5 is throttling the 960M, then the alienware becomes less appealing with the 965M. The Australian Dell site is far more limited in configurations than available in the US. There isn't a build option for just SDD. They are all still paired with a HDD.

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
I guess it depends on what you're doing in regard to processor performance. The UHD screen will cause gaming to suffer, all else being equal. Since the OP has a rather limited choice, the Clevo build would be the best option. They offer a lot of performance for the price.

raider67

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Yeah. UHD isn't really an option for me. Literally and figuratively. 1920 FHD is still an upgrade over what I'm replacing.
I miss the US sometimes. Usually when I'm shopping for something.

raider67

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Do you think the i5 paired with the 965m will be similar performance to the i7 6300HQ with the 960m? This is my problem. I don't have a vast amount of hardware experience. Most of my laptops have always been business or consumer focused. Just thought it would be nice to play something on medium or better settings for once.

Matias_4

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Matias_4. If you feel the i5 is throttling the 960M, then the alienware becomes less appealing with the 965M. The Australian Dell site is far more limited in configurations than available in the US. There isn't a build option for just SDD. They are all still paired with a HDD.
[/quotemsg]

Well the GTX 965m is better then the 960m as shown in this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owFlM5Lqq_Y

But I believe the i5-6300 does throttle the gtx 960m, and if throttles the 960m what donyou expect to happen with the 965m? Anyone know a way I could test if my cpu is throttle my gpu? The 965m is a pretty significant upgrade.

Matias_4

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

Yes, it certainly does. I just think the cpu is the issue. My expierence with CPU instensive games isnt so great with the i5-6300hq.

raider67

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Yeah. I am curious as well. I'd love to have the 965 but if its not going to outperform the clevo, then whats the point. The AW will have to have an SSD added as well. I was going with the clevo prior to the Dell sale popping up here. I think if I had issues with the system, dealing with the Clevo/Metabox here in Australia would be an easier course than dealing with Dell. I'm not the type of person who can keep my cool after a few hours on the phone getting the runaround by tech support.

Any thoughts on the build quality of either? Or cooling systems?

raider67

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Thanks BadActor. I was thinking it may be close to even as well. Not sure on what games. I haven't been playing anything for some time. I was an avid WOT player for a few years. Had to run on low settings. Anything is an upgrade for me at this point.

Matias_4

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
I found a page that says the i5-6300hq does not throttle the gtx 960m which is good:

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/dell-inspiron-15-7559-review/

The i5-6300 isnt really that good in cpu intensive games, specifically speaking of Planetside 2. And I seem to have fps issues in Team Fortress 2 and Garrys Mod too, which both rely on the cpu but besides that if should handle most games perfectly fine with the 965m. My laptop can run Battlefront at High-Ultra, GTA V at Very-High, Rainbow six siege at Medium-High, and Overwatch Medium-High just to give you and idea.