New Laptop (School / Programming / Gaming)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chadz777

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
1. What is your budget? 1000-2000 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Something with a nice sized monitor that still fits in a backpack.

3. What screen resolution do you want? The bigger the better.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable, but I would like it to be up-to-par with my desktop. (4 gb ram / AMD Phenom II x4 955 processor / Radeon 5800 series (2806 Memory))

5. How much battery life do you need? 4-5 hours preferably minimum

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes, Preferably games like League of Legends, Everquest 2, Team fortress 2, and new releases such as Rift.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Programming, Graphic Design, and movies/tv (streaming)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? at least 200 gigs.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. www.newegg.com www.tigerdirect.com and this is not that important.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? as long as it lasts. I need it to last a minimum of 2 years for school.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD R/W preferred.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No specific brand name required (My last laptop cost 350 dollars and is now overheating / locking up / and taking forever to boot.. its REALLY slow!)

13. What country do you live in? US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Its for school, computer science major who also uses it for leisure. Web development programs are a must.

15. Operating System: Windows 7 with a Linux capability. Will be learning Linux along side C/C++.

Thanks,
:pt1cable:

Status
Not open for further replies.