New laptop with 16GB Ram is very slow

savvas999

Estimable
Oct 2, 2015
Hello,

I bought a new laptop 2 months ago. Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition.
It comes with 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, i7 4720.

Everything was fine. But in the last days (maybe 1-2 weeks? not sure) it is very slow. I can still open multiple things such as firefox, a video game, chrome, skype, 2-3 programs (all at the same time) but when I try to switch between of them, or switch between browser's tabs etc is very slow.

I checked how much RAM or CPU is used. It's only 15-20%.

I can't understand why it became so slow. I checked for any virus using AVG, nothing. Downloaded the anti-malware program. Again nothing found.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,
Savvas

Hi,

Does the problem happen only with your browsers like Mozilla, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer? If it does, please try to uninstall and reinstall them from your PC and see if it make any difference. Lastly, try running some virus/malware scan with your PC since it may have accumulated some infections when you were browsing thru he internet.
- Run a complete scan using your antivirus software.
- Delete some Cookies and History from your browsers
- Reset your browsers into their factory default.

savvas999

Estimable
Oct 2, 2015
Hello, thanks for the answer.

At first I thought this problem was only on Mozilla, Chrome etc... But I think it's everywhere.

Examples:
- When I try to open a new tab in browser
- When I open a new program
- When I switch between programs or browser's tabs
- When I open a new folder, it takes 2-3 more seconds than usual. Same when I right click on desktop

Mostly I can notice it on browsers though yes.

I already uninstalled Mozilla and installed it again. Nothing happened.
I also run complete virus scan using AVG and Anti-malware program.

Any other suggestion?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Chrisg34

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015
Physically cleaning your computer can help reduce the heat build up. If it is a laptop you can buy a fan to place under your laptop to cool it down. Check to see in your task monitor if you are using alot of RAM or cpu cycles.

imrazor

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

Which anti-malware program? There are a number of them, and many are junk. The usual recommendation is to run Malware Bytes, available here: https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

If that's the program you scanned with, then just ignore this message and carry on...

727stretch

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
2-3 seconds extra seems more like a software/OS issue vs a hardware failure, but not sure. Questions: a) Did this come with any anti-virus software pre-installed? and b) Did you clean all the pre-installed bloatware out before using? Acers tend to come with all sorts of useless tools installed and they all are set up to start when you turn the PC on. They all stay in the background running despite you not ever using them. Although with 16GB RAM and an i7, this shouldn't be an issue, a lot of those running in the background can make a slight difference.

If you didn't clean up the pre-installed software, download and run the PC Decrapifier to remove the things you won't use. http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
Depending on how advanced of a user you are, you could also keep the things you want but modify the registry so they don't start at boot and take up background memory.

Hope this helps

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
It's very weird indeed. Could you please write the cpu usage also please. If you have windows 8 then you sould also check the disk usage (hard drive or ssd). If programs are written into the hdd it's pretty much very logical that if avg is running a test this time that your computer will perform much slower. Also, even if the files are written in the ssd you should still check disk usage because on of the opened applications could be using the disk pretty much. Anyways, you will be able to see what's going on in the task manager of windows 8 and which proccess uses the disk that much. finally, you should try installing the antivirus(I would recommend forticlient) to the hdd and the programs you run to the ssd to see if there's any difference

ian245

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014

I have a question you don't have any word files on your desktop?
Or Excell files on your desktop or Images.
the reason for asking this is your computer has to load these files when it first boots up.
This could explain why it is so slow all of a sudden the only icons on a desktop are to be program icons.

I hope this helps you.

yimmi

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
what os are you using?Because i had an issue on windows 10 as well and the task manager showed from 80% to 100% of disk usage and it only left me when i turned of the "show me tips about windows" tab

yimmi

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

What os are you using?