New PC with low FPS when playing games only

Jun 26, 2018
Just finished up my PC and everything seemed to be working smoothly. Youtube videos work fine, casually surfing the web works; really anything besides gaming works excellent. However, whenever I play any game, everything goes completely south. The games are so unbelievably glitchy, it's not playable. I ran a benchmark and it clocked a whopping 1 FPS. I understand that I don't have the best specs, but even a piece of junk could give me more than that.

Something is definitely wrong and I believe it is the CPU at fault. I had applied too much thermal paste on the first application and it did go overboard a little (seeped into the heat sink and along the sides of the CPU). Should I just go return the CPU for a new one or could something else be at fault here?

Just to resolve a couple answers I'm expecting, I did check to see if all the components are working. Fans are spinning, Motherboard lights are flashing, etc. Temperature is about 50 - 60 C in a casual workload and 75 - 85 when I start up a game. I have the right drivers for the CPU and the bios is updated. The parts are compatible according to PCpartPicker.

Here are the specs:
  • AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Asus - PRIME A320M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Inwin - 301 White MicroATX Mini Tower Case
    Corsair - CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I would really appreciate any help I can get, thanks in advance.

Jun 26, 2018

I really don’t think that my specs are the reason why I’m getting 1 frame per second. Even on my old MacBook with no gpu, I still managed 30-40 FPS. I don’t mind playing on low settings at 30 FPS, hence why I made the choices for the parts. Any other potential solutions?

Jun 26, 2018
I figured out the problem. I thought I'd post the solution here in case anyone else has the same issue.

After further diagnostics, I saw that the integrated graphics had not been setup. This must mean that I'm missing some sort of driver. I tried to go through the device manager and attempted to update/reinstall drivers, but no luck. Reinstalled windows, no luck. Just when I was ready to give up, I stumbled upon this software that basically made everything I was having problems with, work like magic.

Here's the link: https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Just do the "Automatically Detect and Install Your Driver" option and the setup is pretty straight forward.
Once it's installed, all your problems go away. Don't know why, it just did. Hope this helps someone else with the same problems.