New PS3 Firmware Hacked Within 24Hrs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]I don't see what is good about this. I play many multiplayer games on my PS3 that I can't play with my PC. Because of these douchebags, I need to update way more frequently just to play my godamn multiplayer games. And for what? Pirating a $60 game? Why not wait for it to be $15? You can't afford it and yet you have a PS3? Because of these guys we have lost Linux and not have to deal with pointless firmware updates. I'm all for cool hacks like Kinect on PC, but this is stupid and pointless. Thanks for the updates you asstards.[/citation]

In my country, they don't cost 60$, they cost 80$, and the avarage person makes 350$ / month. Also, even as games get old, they NEVER get to your 15$ mark. Romanian stores have 3-4 year old games for the PS2 and PS3 that still cost 80$!!! They would rather trash them and give old electronics to recycling centers than sell them at a 80% discount.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]razzb3d[/nom]In my country, they don't cost 60$, they cost 80$, and the avarage person makes 350$ / month. Also, even as games get old, they NEVER get to your 15$ mark. Romanian stores have 3-4 year old games for the PS2 and PS3 that still cost 80$!!! They would rather trash them and give old electronics to recycling centers than sell them at a 80% discount.[/citation]

so since Lamborghini's are over $250k here, and I only make $50k a year, that means I should be allowed to steal one and no one should question me on this. Dont hate the player (sony) hate the game (capitalism).

As someone mentioned, there is no legit reason to need to hack your PS3 other than running pirated software, or hacks in multiplayer games.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
90% of what I did on my old modded xbox had nothing to do with pirating.

Anyways, I find it funny that firmware hacking got big when Sony dropped Linux support last year.

ballinjoey2332

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
lol this is funny, when i heard what they did to george hotz, i told my friend that doing this will only make the world of hackers mad and drive them to hack more

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]Because of these guys we have lost Linux and not have to deal with pointless firmware updates.[/citation]

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what the hackers do, but this statement about them being the reason Linux support is gone is completely false. The reason Sony removed the Linux option is because they were losing money from people just using PS3s as computers and clusters. They sell the PS3s for less than they cost to make, to get you to use the platform, then make up the money in games. Kinda like a subsidized cell phone. So when people use the PS3s to make clusters or use as computers they lose money since they don't buy games.
Just keeping the facts straight.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Just wanted to say, there are really good arguments here on both sides of the issue. Frankly I think u should be able to hack your PS3 all you want since you paid for it. But with that being said, if Sony denies you use of their online service or other extra features as a result of your hacking; they should have that right too. Also I was wondering is this really "hacking" or would this be considered "modding" since they are usually adding extra features.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Yes and as these consoles get hacked and able to play pirated games, sony loses money. They bleed enough money and they will drop from the console business. Does that sound like a comforting thought of it being just microsoft and nintendo?

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom].I can go get a 500 bux PC right now and it can outperform the PS3.[/citation]

Back when the PS3 came out, it's Cell BE liteally kicked the crap out of same-range computers of the time in raw compute power. The playing field is narrowing now but a $500 PC will still not PS3's compute performance in scientific applications.

terion

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
> They sell the PS3s for less than they cost to make, to get you to use the platform, then make up the money in games.

Its their problem, not mine. I would rather see real price of console and lower prices of games. Its bullshit IMHO, that if I want to sell game on platform I need to pay "ransom" to manufacturer. I know that this is how this business is runnng for years, but it is still wrong. So what next? If I wan't to fuel my car I need to do it on station that pays royalities to Toyota?

terion

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
> Yes and as these consoles get hacked and able to play pirated games, sony loses money. They bleed enough money and they will drop from the console business. Does that sound like a comforting thought of it being just microsoft and nintendo?

Yeah, right. Xbox and Wii was hacked long time ago, and have comparable selling results as PS3, so where is that "piracy killing business" now?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Sony made a mistake by removing Linux support that much is obvious considering how many times it been hacked as of the date they removed that support. It might be time to offer 2 editions of PS3's, one more expensive with Linux support and one cheaper "gaming" edition.

Sony today make a loss on each console and make the green through the games (thats why i don't understand serious gamers purchase a console then 20-100's of games when you could have bought a powerful Pc and the same amount of games for the same money instead of playing on a weak console and get less from it - even more so when the PS4 hits eventually and your old game wont run but thats another story).

CoffeeDrinker

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Hehehehe, amazing how many times you hear the PS3 getting hacked, and not so much on the Xbox, and yet im sure that Microsoft with the Xbox gave up years ago.

G

I modded my original Xbox so I could put Xbox Media Centre on it. At that time, there were no cheap media streamers, and building a comparable PC to do the same job would have cost twice as much. Modding turned a games console into a cheap media player.

Now days, the Xbox 360 and PS3 can both stream MP3/Photo/HD Video without needing to be modded. They both have limitations on file formats they support, but that is not a problem if you are ripping movies from your own DVD's into a compatible format (which is easy to do). Besides, you can pick up media players that perform better at much lower costs than these consoles, so its pointless buying a PS3 to hack it for movie playback, as you can get much cheaper media players that do a better job.

So what other uses are left as excuses to mod/hack the PS3/Xbox 360? Yes there were people who bought PS3's to cluster them as cheap supercomputers, but that is a relatively small percentage of customers. These customers can continue to use their existing PS3s for this purpose, they just cant buy any more to add to their clusters, or replace broken PS3's in the clusters. I am sure they can pick up all the second hand ones for spares if they look for them though...

By far the biggest reason to mod is to play pirated games. The issue is this - the PS3 is an expensive console, so many people have not bought one due to the large initial outlay, and along with £45 a pop for new games, it turns out to be very expensive over the life span of the console (assuming you buy your games new). However, if you find out that you can now get the games for free, this will sway the vast majority of people who have held off buying the PS3 until now. Sony will sell loads more consoles (at a loss), and makes no money off the new customers from games. As word spreads about being able to play free games, the problem just compounds. Looking back at the PS1 and PS2 and Xbox, the same happened there. The consoles started off with relatively poor sales due to high cost, then as soon as the console prices started dropping and games were able to be pirated, console sales soared. Initially Sony will make some money off this as most people buy some games when they first buy the console, but eventually everybody has a console and sales slow down. By this time a new console is announced, and the cycle starts again.

To keep this cycle going as is, or to keep them in the console business, the console manufacturers need to do one of two things:

- Combat the hackers to discourage the average user from being able to pirate games, so they keep some profit on the sales of the games

or/

- Increase the costs of the consoles so they make profit off the hardware, and lower the price of the games so it becomes less of an incentive to pirate them

Either way people will complain, so its a very difficult situation to balance. The console companies need to make money, the games developers need to make money, the retailers need to make money. If any one of those stop making money, then, as somebody else said, this will drive them out of the console business.

My take on it is this: If you buy the console, then you should accept the business model that surrounds it. If you don't like it, or can not afford it, don't buy it. You know what you are getting into when you buy a games console, there is no excuse for piracy.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
@Because people who said "I want Linux back" is nothing but full of shit.
No, it's you who's full of it!

@I can go get a 500 bux PC right now and it can outperform the PS3. without the restrictions.
Hullinicating?

@those "hackers" are not smart at all, give it enough time anybody can find any system's bug.
Bug finders are NOT hackers you noob. Hackers are good (like Linux Kernel hacking, gcc hacking and so on) but Crackers are bad (like breaking SSL using a PS3 cluster etc). Most of the media doesn't get this one right, idiots!

@He can go ahead and try to code his own OS from scratch, but he won't cuz he knows nothing is unhackable, it will be sad if someone can break his shit in the matter of days if not hours.
These days one could hardly find the likes of Bill Joy! Heard of him? So, get over it. Nothing can't be cracked? Why doesn't anyone try taking control of International Space Station? No one.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
The programmers of PS3 firmware made several really stupid mistakes. It is Sony's fault that they did not have good enough routines and QA. I can only imagine the mess when the "final touches" were being applied. It was being asked to be broken.
Indeed as soon as some smart people started looking at it, the fails started to pop up one after another. Given a sane development method, this kind of security system would work much better.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Illegally taken away? If you think Sony removing Linux support was illegal, why haven't you filed a class action law suit?[/citation]

Look up "sony other os class action suit" with your favourite search engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.