New PS3 Firmware Hacked Within 24Hrs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
Look up "sony other os class action suit" with your favourite search engine.

you have to bring up this BS again. they are not forcing you to download updates. if they wanted Linux support just don't upgrade the firmware. just more Americans trying to make a quick buck trying to sue the pants off a company

G

festerovic, your argument about lamborghini's really doesn't work, because if you take a car, theres not still one where you got it from, with software, taking one copy does nothing to the original. If it cost nothing to reproduce (and ship) lamborghini's, there'd be no reason for you not to drive one (well, minus the terrible gas mileage and insurance costs). Digital goods are more or less the same way, but there's an investment required to develop a digital good, which means that we should pay companies to develop things, and then simply have them release everything to everyone who wants it. Of course, as you said, capitalism does not like things like that, regardless of how much sense it would make.
Plus, there are entirely legitimate reason to hack a ps3. Maybe you dont want to be stuck with first-party periphirals, or maybe you want to run linux/windows/macOS, or maybe you want to just play around with developing or using small-time applications for the console, or maybe you're just bored. It's your hardware, just like a PC, and you can do whatever you want with it. Hacks in multiplayer games are both exceedingly rare even on pc, and already happen on consoles that aren't cracked through network manipulation or various other methods.
Piracy is hardly a valid issue for PC developers, let alone consoles. Its just so much trouble to pirate games for consoles, since you would need both to crack your console, find disk images, and in the ps3's case, spend ~$200 on a blu-ray burner and a lot on disks as well. It's hardly worth the trouble, considering you are likely to not be able to play online anyway and most people only want to play several games, hardly worth the time and cost investment.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Sony has been doing it for years with the PSP, and have found dis-favor amongst many for that!
Their first PSP would have made a fine DOS emulator, or portable Nintendo 16bit (play game from ROM), but Sony blocked all these efforts with security updates.
Seeing they could no longer support software security on these devices, only after a year they created different versions of the PSP. Later switching to PSP go, and now PSP2. People don't like this because their UMD drives don't work on these devices,and don't want to invest in a gaming console that changes every 2 or 3 years..

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]Why do you assume that everyone that's trying to hack the console, or would like to be able to hack the console, is trying to do so to pirate games? Plenty of people want to be able to use their PS3s for the reason they bought it in the first place - as a console that could run Linux.Alas, no - what they're doing causes an inconvenience to you, so their motivations must be improper and ill-founded, right? Right.[/citation]

He mentioned losing Linux support because of the first hack.

Anyways, hacking the PS3 will result in no cracked copies of games? Or "not enough to matter"? What other major reasons would there be for hacking a system? It's not like it's worth tinkering with the .cfg files much (although I admit it'd be nice to at least take a look) since PS3 games are optimized for its chipset to begin with, and you can't upgrade the hardware.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]CoffeeDrinker[/nom]Hehehehe, amazing how many times you hear the PS3 getting hacked, and not so much on the Xbox, and yet im sure that Microsoft with the Xbox gave up years ago.[/citation]

We don't hear about it because it's common knowledge the Xbox 360 is cracked, and has been nearly ever since it launched. Microsoft just waits for flashed game copies to go online so they can ban the user.

PostmanPat

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]akula2[/nom]Hullinicating?[/citation]
Hullinicating is this what 'the kids' are doing these days... when I was young we used to hallucinate...

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Good enough reason never to buy a console, always at the mercy of the console maker how they decide you should use the machine you bought with your money lol.

Its funny but the very updates they provide for the PS3 also cause problems like HDs not getting recognised. Good ridance i hope these hackers keep hacking the PS3.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Illegally taken away? If you think Sony removing Linux support was illegal, why haven't you filed a class action law suit?[/citation]
In this little world we live in, money speaks louder than legality. You can't win such a law suit unless you've got the funding. And nobody who has would care about something like legality.

G

PS3 is a good system, and has about 10 years of life in it. While SONY is fighting off piracy, let them do their job, stop complaining. Piracy is not a small thing, if you are a programmer games, you know what I am talking about...everybody but the pirates win if piracy takes hold on PS3...

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]so since Lamborghini's are over $250k here, and I only make $50k a year, that means I should be allowed to steal one and no one should question me on this. Dont hate the player (sony) hate the game (capitalism). As someone mentioned, there is no legit reason to need to hack your PS3 other than running pirated software, or hacks in multiplayer games.[/citation]

That's right. Hate capitalism.
Go communism. We all share games! Online. Wait... See what I did there?

Status
Not open for further replies.