New "PSP Go!" to Show at E3 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundercleese

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
"Taking a page from the DSi" ?! I've been able 2 download games directly 2 my PSP from the PlayStation Network 4 a while now. SONY was doing it before Nintendo's DSi.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
If Gran Turismo is said to be one of the launch titles then it's gotta be fake..remember the other one on the first psp? oh wait...

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
thundercleese

This is probably written by someone who hasn't read a PSP spec sheet since the release of the PSP 1000 and is just echoing something he/she read in a blog somewhere (or worst yet twitter).

I do look forward to a PSP2. As a happy owner of a PSP 2000, I enjoy having the "power" of my PS3 web browser where ever there is wifi, in a smaller package than a netbook. I wont say cheaper because of the ps3 cost, but the combo makes for a very useful, quick, and powerful experience for those of us without smart phones.

Also note, the PSP had this ability before the iTouch was released which can essentially do all of this without a base computer somewhere.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Poor UMD format. Seemed like a good idea, but reality was not kind to it :D. I guess that will be about it for UMD, especially since I can't think of anything other than the PSP that can use the format.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
UMD could have been a contender...lol. It actually was pretty good for it's time. Problem is, flash memory far surpasses it now. It was probably not very battery friendly or cheap to integrate but was great to protect digital content for awhile. Pretty obvious that it had to go. The psp really needs a "killer app" I used mine recently at my wife's doctors appt to watch a movie, play a game, and listen to music. I think it needs a touch screen and a good camera. Loose the UMD, and improve the layout so an adult man can use it without getting cramped thumbs in the first 5 minutes. One other thing, the internal battery keeps dying, loosing time/date. Why is this?

thundercleese

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Listen Sony.If PSP2 will not have mobile phone features and GPS, I'm not getting it :).[/citation]

They should have one SKU with phone and one SKU with out. While I agree that a built-in phone would be great, I don't think it's for everybody.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
At first I got a bulky DS then the PSP came out so I get that and trash my bulky DS on auction. Later on, I sold my PSP because it lacks of AAA title and buy a DSi. Now I got a bit tired of DSi because I miss the PSP game graphic. If only we have more title for PSP then it's a win win for everyone. I have to admit that PSP is a powerhouse in portable gaming but developer seem to ignore it. Sony isn't the one to blame, it's the developer that is to blame for the lack of game. I can only dream that a full port of Final Fantasy game to be available.
"Why does a lot of people complain so much about the 2nd Nub?" This is a portable machine not a PS2 controller! I can see that it's useful for FPS game but nothing else make it worth while.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Also developer hated the UMD format noted by some article some time ago. It's hard for developer to do game on it so that maybe one of the thing that the PSP fail at. Maybe this new format will make the PSP more livelier for developer.?

G

It's not like it's a big effort to put the 2nd nub on the PSP. Maybe they should have designed it like a controller with a screen in the middle. Would make holding it for prolonged sessions much easier on the hands.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I bought a PSP for Gran Tourismo. Once I figured out it was just a scam I sold my PSP. The fact that it hurt my hands when I played it didn't help either.

I bought a 360 for Forza 2. It took them 4 months longer than I expected but at least I have it.

If they come out with a GOOD gran tourismo on this new PSP I'll probably buy it, but I'm certainly not buying the system UNTIL GT is released. I'll no longer be swayed into buying something based on hype. Sony scamed me once, they won't do it again.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
what does PSP stand for? I was thinking Play Station Portable. So the new system is Play Station Portable Go? And the next generation will be Play Station Portable Go Small? After that it is anyones guess as to which synonym for portable they will add to the name.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]thundercleese[/nom]"Taking a page from the DSi" ?! I've been able 2 download games directly 2 my PSP from the PlayStation Network 4 a while now. SONY was doing it before Nintendo's DSi.[/citation]They mean it will be taking a page from the DSi in that it's removing a media slot (UMD) just like the DSi lost GBA support.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
No more umd/cartridge/disc based games might be a good thing. Many video games prices dropped like a rock a few months after the game is released because those games are sold at up to 1/4 of its price at the used game market. It also save money on the game media cost.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Downloadable...is the way to go. No box, no manuals, no shipping. Its lean and hey...its "green". And by and large it "seems" to allow vendors to charge more reasonable prices. Hopefully as this gets more popular it will be common practice to include demo versions of pretty much all titles available.

As for "PSP GO" ... it for some reason triggers a scene in my head of a person in a power ranger type outfit striking some jacked up martial pose and yelling P S P... GO!

I think I watch too much anime sometimes...

himoses

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
PSP GO is a lame name.

If it had practical business application, I would definitely buy it to have some cool portable gaming on my downtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS