New "PSP Go!" to Show at E3 2009?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biometricsguy

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
While I agree that the UMD format really wasn't a good idea, I still think it's much better than downloadable only. As someone who actually "pays" for their games, I appreciate the fact that I can go buy just about any game I want used for just a few dollars online. Also, if I don't like a game, I can sell it at a minimal loss. If sony goes downloadable only, then I'm forced to pay full price all the time, with no way to sell the games I don't like. Maybe once it's 5+ years old they will release it for $20.00 as a "Greatest Hits" title. This is still way more than I usually pay for games.

For me, if Sony takes away UMD, then I'll probably ditch my PSP. These games just aren't worth $40+ dollars in my opinion. Or maybe Somalia won't be the only ones resorting to piracy. ;-)

aluey

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
UMD flushes battery, thats why flash memory is the way.
How to sell games, well thats a good question if we spect 4+ gig quality games hardly downloadable.

irishgoatboy

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Like other posts I'm not so happy that the trade-in aspect of my psp titles is being erased along with the UMD format. I, like most people, have a certain amount to spent on games across a few different platforms. I like the idea that I can let new release titles 'cool' a little or wait and pick them up cheaper pre-owned. So the rumoured new psp has a 16gb Flashdrive? Great! 100 downloadable games at launch? Fantastic. But then again might we see Sony's answer to an itunes styled DRM? How free will you be to move your downloaded titles from drive to a memory stick to keep or share, to set on fire or give away to a mate like you can with a UMD? Even if that is the case I still like walking into my local game shop with a handful of finished discs and carts and trading them towards something new, it's part of what I like about gaming, the trade culture. I think this move towards downloads only on 'Psp Go!' and beyond will kill this aspect of gaming and artifically control the high pricing of games in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.