New Sony Website Jabs At Microsoft's Kinect

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

renami9

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
for crying out loud, all motion controllers are bad, for me anyway. i like to sit down when i play video game, i dont like to move my hand or body around to play video game. i like my regular controllers just fine, thank you.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
motion control... pass, what else ya got... and yes i'm the type who got goodat playing guitar hero on a controller just for kicks and giggles

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Let us not forget that Sony was hitting out at Nintendo that the Wii remote is gimmick and consumers will not buy it. Now Sony produced the a great system, but no games to back it up. They got jealous of Wii sells, and tried coping them; a little too late. Sony is just jealous of Microsoft. They try and tear down Kinect with their Nintendo rip off Move controller.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Kinect looks pretty stupid and MS has already proven that they are targeting casual and family games with it so no thanks. Move is looking good to me, better than the wii in every way. Can't wait to give it a try. I think a lot of people aren't realizing that the Move is the best of both worlds, it uses the camera so gestures can be used just like kinect, same with voice commands if they want as the camera has a built in mic. It has better motion tracking than the wii and is built on superior hardware. It all comes down to how it is implemented in games and whether it enhances standard gameplay (as they say it will) or is just a cheesey gimick that no one uses.

Elsapo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Kinect is the future. It would be short sighted to think that this is just aimed at gamers. In my opinion gamers are just the testbed. Support for kinect is probably already being integrated into windows 8.

Thilindi

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Man... I have to say... I LOVE my Kinect and Move! Jeeze! And the games! Who would have thought that they would have produced so many in such a short amount of time! Workers!!!!

Ok,seriously people, until they actually launch the blasted things, please relax. We have no idea what the actual experience of either is going to be. The only thing I will comment on is this ad. The guy is a marketing loss for Sony. This is the sort of direct competitive intuitive scheming that early universally backfires.

Thilindi

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Oh... one wee thing I do need to say about the Box though.

The Kinect sounds a bit too much like the Kin. So... umm... err... yeah. >_

G

Yeah, because Microsoft could _never_ release a tiny handheld peripheral that allows you to click buttons in conjunction with the Kinect, amirite? How silly. I envision a little cylindrical (or more form fitting) device that fits snugly in your fist with a few easy to use buttons that you can use with the Kinnect when buttons are needed. Crazy idea, huh Sony - I mean MS could never do that, right?

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Shenanigans on this: "He eventually explains why voice commands are a bad idea--other players could shout commands that may effect your game simply by passing through"

The kinect uses a directional mic combined with voice (YOUR voice) recognition, combined with it's knowledge of which player is standing where to determine who issues a command. Some guy out of view can issue commands but he can't issue YOUR commands.
Sony is getting desparate because they are selling a magic dildo.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]tinnerdxp[/nom]To be fair... it makes sense... Haven't thought about it previously... but how the hell am I gonna play a game on X360 late at night when I need to be quiet and not to disturb anyone in the house? Voice commands? Fail... whole body movement - fail... bright lightness in order to do that? Fail... I really wanted Kinnect... but now... it sort of makes sense not to...[/citation]
Your knowledge (and spelling) of Kinect = Fail. It can do non-full body movement if it is appropriate for the game. Voice is not required (either gesture at a menu OR say "xbox ..."). You can also play it in total darkness. Only the webcam needs light. The body recognition portion of the sensor works in complete darkness.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]i7Rocks[/nom]Kinect looks pretty stupid and MS has already proven that they are targeting casual and family games with it so no thanks. Move is looking good to me, better than the wii in every way. Can't wait to give it a try. I think a lot of people aren't realizing that the Move is the best of both worlds, it uses the camera so gestures can be used just like kinect, same with voice commands if they want as the camera has a built in mic. It has better motion tracking than the wii and is built on superior hardware. It all comes down to how it is implemented in games and whether it enhances standard gameplay (as they say it will) or is just a cheesey gimick that no one uses.[/citation]

Sony uses the PlayStation Eye in conjunction with the Playstation Move to track the controller movements with more precision. So it doesn't have camera gesture or body tracking. Like I said the Playstation move is a rip off of the Wii controller set, it's just more precise and that's it. The Kinetic at least is original, like the wii was.

We'll see in a year if it's the Move that's a gimmick or the Kinetic.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Sony uses the PlayStation Eye in conjunction with the Playstation Move to track the controller movements with more precision. So it doesn't have camera gesture or body tracking. Like I said the Playstation move is a rip off of the Wii controller set, it's just more precise and that's it. The Kinetic at least is original, like the wii was.We'll see in a year if it's the Move that's a gimmick or the Kinetic.[/citation]

wow talk about ignorance, lets get one thing straight here: Kinect is a copy of the playstation eye from the PS2. This is not an original idea at all, it has been done before, yes this tech is better but thats how the world works. Just like the move is a copy of the wii but with better tech. And yes the move does has gesture and body tracking, I have seen demos of the move where it replicates your entire body as a robot on screen, it can even put you in the game using the camera. The way I see it sony's approach is the best as it can draw from the strengths of each system and has the best hardware.

easymark26

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Kinect works pretty well, but there just isnt a game out there that makes me want to use it, I am in the beta and the voice commands are the coolest thing it offers right now.
I have a feeling it will be more of the same with Move, it will probably work well, but what game are you just itching to play on these things ?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]i7Rocks[/nom]wow talk about ignorance, lets get one thing straight here: Kinect is a copy of the playstation eye from the PS2. This is not an original idea at all, it has been done before, yes this tech is better but thats how the world works. Just like the move is a copy of the wii but with better tech. And yes the move does has gesture and body tracking, I have seen demos of the move where it replicates your entire body as a robot on screen, it can even put you in the game using the camera. The way I see it sony's approach is the best as it can draw from the strengths of each system and has the best hardware.[/citation]

The kinetic is basically a camera just like the ps eye. The only difference in terms of hardware is that the kinetic can operate in the dark while the ps eye needs a well lit room to operate.

The big difference is in the software. Sony hasn't developed any kind of full body tracking software. Hence making the Kinetic set original.

Also the PS2 never had the PS Eye. If you're referring to the EyeToy, it only had gesture and color recognition, which is nothing like the Kinetic.

Also I wonder how the Move will work in dark places because the PS Eye doesn't function in dark places. When I play the eye of judgment i can only play it when the sun is shining. When there's no sun light I'm unable to play the game.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Comparing the PS Eye to Kinect is a joke.

PS Eye = spot a blob in the viewing area that matches a precise color. Map that blob in space.

Kinect = Use laser rangefinder to make a 3d map of the room. Use library of ~4million skeletons and "fill them". Compare all 4million filled shapes against objects in the room to find the humans. Map human back to skeleton to locate joints and the face. Use facial recognition to identify the player. Use directional mics to find out what sound is coming from *that* player.

The wand is barely beyond lightpen technology...and has the hilarious side effect of making you look like you're having a dildo fight.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The kinetic is basically a camera just like the ps eye. The only difference in terms of hardware is that the kinetic can operate in the dark while the ps eye needs a well lit room to operate.The big difference is in the software. Sony hasn't developed any kind of full body tracking software. Hence making the Kinetic set original.Also the PS2 never had the PS Eye. If you're referring to the EyeToy, it only had gesture and color recognition, which is nothing like the Kinetic.Also I wonder how the Move will work in dark places because the PS Eye doesn't function in dark places. When I play the eye of judgment i can only play it when the sun is shining. When there's no sun light I'm unable to play the game.[/citation]

Yes I was refering to the eyetoy, which yes is exactly like kinect, just because the tech in kinect is way better doesn't mean it is a new idea.

Have you read anything about the move? if you google playstation move body tracking you will see plenty of articles and demos of it, not sure why you think it doesn't have it as it has since day 1.

lol no sun light? have you ever heard of electricity? light bulbs?PSeye works fine in the dark, actually works better in low light as it is easier to pick up the orb.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Does anyone but me realize you'll still be able to hold a controller when using the kinect? IE: there will be buttons for some games.[/citation]

finaly someon with some cense...who ever said they will never have a controler for kinnect...the beauty of kinnect is i think, in the future you'll have guns that you can buy to play fps with kinnect....problem with ps3 is that everything has to evolve around them dildos with ms you'll have the option and im sure a whole bunch of replica remote controles...imo it has huge potential both for profit (more games for xbox360) and for fun...

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]i7Rocks[/nom]Yes I was refering to the eyetoy, which yes is exactly like kinect, just because the tech in kinect is way better doesn't mean it is a new idea. [/citation]

It's not in the slightest bit like Kinect. You seem to think the kinect sees through its webcam. It does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.