New SSD issues

Poky1002

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
System:
■Alienware 17r4
■128 gb m.2 (sata) SSD OS
■1 tb HDD Storage
■1x m.2 2280 slot (with Samsung 950 Pro 256 gb)
■1x m.2 2242 slot
■i7 6700hq
■gtx 1070

Issue:
After physically installing the 256 SSD, I tried to clone my OS drive, it was "successful", and I was able to boot from that drive, but it seemed really buggy and slower than the original boot drive. My suspicions are:
■-Mobo is actually ported with Sata rather than NVMe
■-Operator (installer/me) error
■-Used inadequate software (I tried 3 times, using MiniTool partition wizrd and Easeus)

After reinstalling (factory reset) the OS on the original SSD and wiping the aftermarket SSD, there is now a small 16 MB partition, on the OS drive, that I cannot re-absorb into the main partition. I also tried to install Ubuntu to the aftermarket SSD, but it wouldn't even show the drive as a volume/partition.

My question(s):
■-How do I get rid of that annoying 16 MB partition?
■-How can I successfully clone my OS drive to the bigger SSD, or at least a Linux distro?
■-How can I absolutely and utterly wipe and reset my system? I still had my downloaded wallpaper on after the factory reset.

Thanks for any help you can provide, I thought I was adequately knowledgeable about systems to do this stuff, but this new bios style is completely foreign to me, and i don't want to jack anything up by trying "trial and error". I was pretty good with XP and 7, but 10 and the new bios have me scratching my head.

Solution
First, install the Samsung 950 PRO NVMe driver. Download directly from Samsung.
Also download the latest version of their free ssd migration app.
Then, use the Samsung ssd migration aid to move(not clone) your C drive to the 950 PRO.
You should then be able to boot from the 950 PRO.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Steps for a successful clone:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

Poky1002

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

I appreciate the fast reply! I think I'll probably just get a bigger SSD to fill that spot, I am physically disabled so doing very much physical manipulation of components is a bit too much for me, but I will get an adapter and definitely use your method to clone.

Do you have any advice on successfully installing a Linux distro or two to a second SSD? I've already formatted it and set it up as a simple volume. I'd split it into 2 partitions and throw Ubuntu on one and LinuxMint (?) on the other. Like I said earlier, I tried to install but the installer couldn't find the right drive in the list of partitions/volumes.
I'm working on IT/IS certs as well as Linux +, so I'll end up downloading Kali tools on ubuntu, and maybe doing most of my Linux + on Mint. Not sure if that matters, but I try to give any details that could possibly help.

Thanks.

USAFRet

Illustrious
These days, Linux installs are pretty straightforward. Especially Mint or Ubuntu.
Not much different than a Windows OS.

If dualbooting...in the first install, split the drive as desired.
50/50, maybe.
Then install the second.
You should end up with a GRUB menu to choose which to boot from.

geofelt

Distinguished
First, install the Samsung 950 PRO NVMe driver. Download directly from Samsung.
Also download the latest version of their free ssd migration app.
Then, use the Samsung ssd migration aid to move(not clone) your C drive to the 950 PRO.
You should then be able to boot from the 950 PRO.

Solution