New Yamaha 7.2 channel receiver won't register surround back speakers

Jul 28, 2015
I just replaced my 3 year old Yamaha receiver with a new one after the HDMIs stopped working. Nothing has changed with my setup, and I use banana plugs so its easy to disconnect wires. I was under the impression all I had to do was connect the new receiver, and then do a YPAO mic setup.
But this receiver won't register the surround back, though it is 7.2 channel. The 'easy' set up guide shows there should be front presence speakers, not back surround, even though the back surround option is available, but it is set to none and I can't change it. I can't really move my speakers either, they are on wall mounts drilled into wall studs.
On my old one I could move the speakers anywhere, even the wrong place, and it would still allow me to use them. But there is only the softest sound coming out of the surround back speakers, and I can't change anything.

I am also getting a phase error and a level error message.

A few days ago everything was fine with my old receiver, which wasn't really that old, since it had 3d, but with only 1 working HDMI, I had to get a new one.

This is the new receiver. Yamaha - 1015W 7.2-Ch. Network-Ready 4K Ultra HD and 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver\

My speakers and sub woofer are Klipsch

Solution
Onkyo has an out of warranty repair program on certain models that had HDMI issues that could cause a variety of problems. They send new packing and a pre paid shipping label so the repair was 100% free.
http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php#
Surround sound receivers are more like PCs than they are traditional stereo components so they have similar problems. Rebooting can often solve problems.
Jul 28, 2015
Update... I fixed it. All I had to do was unplug the receiver. Though I'm not sure what this says about Yamaha. I know they are supposed to be good, but with a brand new device I should not have to unplug it and plug it back in to get a function to work... This is Yamaha receiver number three, so I am a little cautions now.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Glad you got it working again. I would be very weary of that receiver now that that happened. I have had Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, and Harmon Kardon receivers but one thing I've noticed among all of them: the quality has been on the decline for years. My three year old Onkyo dropped two HDMI ports. I just don't know where to turn anymore. It appears no matter what brand you choose or what tier of receiver in the model line, you are taking a roll of the dice.

Onkyo has an out of warranty repair program on certain models that had HDMI issues that could cause a variety of problems. They send new packing and a pre paid shipping label so the repair was 100% free.
http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php#
Surround sound receivers are more like PCs than they are traditional stereo components so they have similar problems. Rebooting can often solve problems.

Solution

flipman57

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
My Denon XVR-3000 would not play the sound bar I had hooked up to Zone 2 when playing iTunes. Turning on All Channel Stereo solved that problem, but now my TV audio can't find my Denon when streaming movies. Any ideas?

Jul 28, 2015

You really should start a form question of your own instead of posting on a solved thread. Some people get really annoyed, and also starting a new question gives you a better chance of getting a solution. The only people that will see this are the ones who have posted on this thread or randomly stumble upon it.

As for your receiver, how is it connected to your tv? Your hdmi out should be what you connect to your tv. Everything else, blu-ray, game system, sound bar, etc, should be connected to the HDMI ins or with audio optical/aux/component cables.