Newbie here no idea how to set up wire and stuff please help! 4 piece set

Mar 15, 2018
I recently took home some speakers and I have no idea how to use it. Its a working speaker but I have no idea how to make it work...

My aim is to use these speaker for my laptop, thus 3.5mm jack.
There is 2 huge and long standing speaker with 2 smaller one.
One of the huge speaker has a power source with lots of holes to plug in for wires, front and back.
I just want to set up at a 2.1 now, ignoring the other large speaker.

I will try to use the most proper term I know to explain what I did.

This is the one with power source, I guess its called the Amp and is a Subwoofer?
V7DDyxv.jpg
https://imgur.com/a/mKQZ7

5wptlZz.jpg
https://imgur.com/a/KZRHt

I have no problem connecting this to my 2 smaller speaker using the bare wires.
I bought a 3.5mm to RCA as in the picture and plug it in, but there is no sound coming out from it.

Test I did:
1) Changing from my laptop to phone, still no sound
2) Buying a new 3.5mm to RCA and test it.
3) There is a mic option which I happen to took home the mic too, the 2 smaller speaker works but no sound from the Amp/Subwoofer.

I have no television at home to test the speaker using only RCA to RCA wires

Please help me to identify what went wrong

Solution

Why do you think there is a subwoofer there? If that is the same thing, looks just like a standard receiver which is an amp and pre-amp in one. Is there a speaker built into it? If it's actually functioning, all you need to do is connect a source to the input jacks and then speakers to the speaker jacks. Thing that looks odd is that the speaker...
Mar 15, 2018

the two image is a single item itself, front and back photo of the item...
so i assume its an amp + sub... am i wrong? do i need to get an amp to get this work?

Why do you think there is a subwoofer there? If that is the same thing, looks just like a standard receiver which is an amp and pre-amp in one. Is there a speaker built into it? If it's actually functioning, all you need to do is connect a source to the input jacks and then speakers to the speaker jacks. Thing that looks odd is that the speaker connections are marked for rear speakers, and the front speaker is just a single connection, which usually means it's some custom connection meant for a specific speaker.

You said it was working, did you test it before you brought it home or by working do you just mean that it turns on and you see a power light?

I'd toss this thing and get a standard receiver, they are pretty cheap, especially if you get a used one.

Solution