Next-Gen Internet Launched at USC Stevens Inst.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Most of you are thinking small, like an average Joe, which really surprises me for a bunch of techno geeks. Think big, think outside the box people. You're picking apart the technical details, like we never solve technical details? You sound like what people would have said 40 years ago if someone started talking about creating the "Internet". This is like the tide, it cannot be stopped, and like freedom, it cannot be denied.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
As far as I know, telcos own the internet infrastructure, which means that it will still be easy to monitor the traffic at the government's request.

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I may be a bit overly cynical, but...
Security/privacy will be non-existent -- anything that passes through a node can be siphoned off and cracked (or even modified prior to relaying) -- regardless of attempts at securing it.

If the last 20 years hasn't taught folks that "if it's digital, it can be cracked", I think they must've been in a coma. Sure, some encryption schemes are tougher than others, but given time and resources (the users and computers connected to the internet have plenty of both), they will all fall eventually.

Then there are secondary issues, like hacking of whatever routing protocol they cook up such that a node could become essentially, the preferred gateway for local access to certain sites, providing juicier content for man-in-the-middle or, more simply, denial of service attacks.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hm.. this sounds like a dream to me... an ever-present access to the internet, both wired and wirelessly? Maybe? Hopefully? I can hope! lol

G

hmmm... most world governments might not take too kindly to the loss of control so to speak. A rebel underground movement maybe....

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Excited for the eventual successor of the Internet. Considering that the current Internet started as research network in the 80's, maybe it won't take long until MondoNet replaces the Internet soon.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
A system where every user is a router, server and client? That's a bad idea. All it takes is one malicious user to create a man in the middle attack to cause major problems with this new internet. How would you feel about all your internet traffic being filtered through some guy's laptop?

It is certainly not a surveillance-proof system, and it is an even less secure system than the internet we currently use now... And we all know how secure the internet is...

I'm all for a free and open internet, but hackers are going to have a field day with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.