Nexus 4 alternatives?

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
nexus 4 got no
memory card slot
changeable battery

what would be alternatives
if you want above and still want the nfc and 4g.
less powerfull cpu and older phones also ok.

Thanks.

chris_obe

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Is price an issue?

Here are some options:
Galaxy S3- US
Galaxy Note II- US
Galaxy Nexus (no sim slot unfortunately)
HTC One X+

Or even the Devil's own phone- the iPhone 5.

All should perform at least equally well, with the N4. Not completely sure what you're looking for in a phone though.

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Thanks for answering.
Yes, I should have written, price is an issue.
The phones you have stated are premium.

The nexus 4 says 350us$, that was what I had in mind. Therefore I wrote it was ok to mention older phones.
I don't get how they can sell the nexus 4 at 350us$?

I don't want to use apple or android. But coming up is Firefox os and ubuntu phone, if amazon search can be disabled,
and I want to find relevant phones for these systems.

I have heard a speaker say, phones with batteries which cannot be swaped are like that, not only to make money on putting a new battery into the phone, but also because they collect user data even when turned off.

The nexus 4 has no, card port, if it had the phone would be very attractive, to encourage google cloud services, which are read by
google.

chris_obe

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Right, so you are looking for something in the $350 price range?
The Galaxy Nexus is a superb option if you're after the latest Android 4.2.1 though as you say it also lacks a Micro SD card slot.
Alternatively, the Galaxy S2 is still a viable option, especially if you are prepared to Root and install Android 4.2.1...
On the large end, the Galaxy Note (1st Gen) is still ok- not as fast as the N4 but hey, I'm currently using one on Android 4.1.2, with the intention of buying a N4 when it comes back in stock here in the UK, so it's surprising that you're looking away from the Nexus 4.
If you manage your space properly, you won't use more than 10GB.

Yanaishere

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
If you want raw performance S2 would be a good choice. However it's better to go for the updated and newer products. Nexus has a couple of cons but the list of pros is longer than S2's.

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

As I wrote, I'm going to install either firefox os or ubuntu phone.
Samsung s2 is a good suggestion but I think it is more exspensive.

Have you read about the nexus 4? Is it correct it has 4g hardware, but it is not supported?
Do you know the nexus 4 price in UK?
Is the nexus 4 a global edition so if you buy a nexus 4 in UK it can be used in USA and the other way around?

chris_obe

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I see, the Nexus 4 will almost certainly have support for Ubuntu phone, seeing as the test-bed for the OS was its predecessor, the Galaxy Nexus.

Yes, the Nexus 4 has a 4G chip, but it only operates on Band 4, so it'll basically only work in Canada and a few other places around the world. So it's useless to most of us. Where I live, HSDPA is more than fast enough for me, so 4G isn't an immediate necessity.

Yes the N4 is one universal model across the world, and I would imagine so- there's no reason why it shouldn't work anyhow.
In the UK the 16GB model costs £279, and the 8GB £239- though both are out of stock and have been for at least a month now :(

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I have read the ubuntu phone hardware requirements.
For basic use they are
1Ghz Cortex A9 512MB – 1GB 4-8GB eMMC + SD.

So phones with this hardware and display from size 4" are relevant.
But how to make a generic search for these phones I don't know?

Which phones that are up for the requirements can get firefox os or ubuntu phone
installed I do not know either.

Thanks.