Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 3?

DinosaurBeekeeper

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Hey guys, first time tablet buyer here. Now I have done my research and narrowed it down to two tablets, none of which are Apple products. Anyway, the two that I have narrowed it down to are;

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and Google Nexus 7

Now I've compared these two tablets;
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5456&idPhone2=5600 and
http://www.gizmag.com/galaxy-tab-3-vs-nexus-7-2013/28479/

But the thing is, I am not seriously picky on which tablet I get. As a fan of Samsung, I want to buy Galaxy Tab 3, and the added MicroSD slot is a bonus to me. When I was talking to my brother, he says the Nexus 7 is better of those two. Not by much, but just enough.

I would also use the tablet pretty much as a laptop while in college, so I want something that will last throughout the day and I not have to worry about it dying on me or having to bring the charger with me. I am not much of a Game person, so that aspect isn't a big deal for me. Although I do love to watch videos, listen to music and surf the web.

So my question is, if you own one or have any first hand knowledge on one of them. Which one would you say that it is the best out of the two.

Thanks for your time! :)

Solution
If we're talking in terms of hardware the Nexus 7 clearly wins as it has a 1900 x 1200 resolution compared to the Galaxy 3's 800 x 1200 resolution. However, there are two areas where the Galaxy actually wins over the Nexus 7:

The first is the price - Sprint is currently selling the Galaxy Tab 3 for $49 with $15 of 2GB 4G LTE data per month (yes, you read that right: http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?ensembleId=SPH217STAB&flow=AAL&isDeeplinked=true&INTCID=AB:HERO:102313:Tab3:5:960x320 ). Yes that means you can use it anywhere you can't get WiFi. Compare that to the Nexus 7's asking price of $269 for the 32GB model. The second is obviously the Micro SXHD card slot which can support up to 64GB additional storage...

g-unit1111

Distinguished
If we're talking in terms of hardware the Nexus 7 clearly wins as it has a 1900 x 1200 resolution compared to the Galaxy 3's 800 x 1200 resolution. However, there are two areas where the Galaxy actually wins over the Nexus 7:

The first is the price - Sprint is currently selling the Galaxy Tab 3 for $49 with $15 of 2GB 4G LTE data per month (yes, you read that right: http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?ensembleId=SPH217STAB&flow=AAL&isDeeplinked=true&INTCID=AB:HERO:102313:Tab3:5:960x320 ). Yes that means you can use it anywhere you can't get WiFi. Compare that to the Nexus 7's asking price of $269 for the 32GB model. The second is obviously the Micro SXHD card slot which can support up to 64GB additional storage capacity.

Solution

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well if you already have a Sprint account (like I do), it's great - it doesn't alter your phone bill that much. But with the phone and the tablet I'm still paying less than I did on AT&T. :lol:

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well true if you want the tablet itself I think Tiger Direct was selling the Wifi only version for $179.

DinosaurBeekeeper

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Hey, thanks for responding.
I guess I should of clarify that I am looking for a tablet only, not a tablet with a contract.

So without that part, would the Nexus 7 be the best overall for something to be used like a laptop?

g-unit1111

Distinguished

No there's no tablet that can be a substitute for a laptop. The closest thing to one would be a Surface Pro but those certainly aren't cheap.

stopstop

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
No such tablets can be a substitute for a laptop. According to the comparison, Nexus 7 wins a little bit. And Samsung Galaxy Tab can function like a phone, and you only want a tablet.

DinosaurBeekeeper

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
"So without that part, would the Nexus 7 be the best overall for something to be used like a laptop?"

What I meant by it being used like a laptop, I only mean I would use it for note taking with a keyboard. I know no tablet could replace a laptop. So I am really only going to use the tablet for note taking in class, surfing the web, and watching videos/listening to music.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well for that purpose you'd need a Bluetooth keyboard to get the full functionality out of that. Logitech makes a universal keyboard but it's not really that practical: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/tablet-keyboard-android-win8-rt?crid=1221

Ijack

Distinguished
Tablets are OK for taking brief notes, though you may find a larger one easier to use. You can even use voice recognition for input, or use them as audio/video recorders. The best way to find out if it works for you is to go to a store and try one out. I wouldn't worry too much about the SD card - 32GB is a fair amount of stoarage and you can always use Google Drive.

I can't speak for the Samsung, but the screen on the latest Nexus 7 is really nice. It's great as a portable media device. And, as a bonus, you can use it as a GPS device.

If I were you I would go to a store and have a look at them in action - you can then buy online to get the best price.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Pretty much any 7" tablet doubles as a GPS device anymore. I definitely agree about the resolution on the Nexus 7 being far superior to anything else you can buy right now. There's also the new Tegra Note platform and EVGA and PNY are both planning tablets based on this platform that are gamer specific and less than $200.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

My mom has an iPad Mini - it has GPS functions through Apple Maps, even though Apple Maps is infinitely inferior to Google Maps. My iPad 2 has GPS functions.

Ijack

Distinguished
The Wi-Fi only iPads (remember the OP is not interested in cellular) do not have GPS. They do have limited location awareness through the Wi-Fi network, but that only works when connected to a network.

The Nexus 7 has a real GPS chip and can determine their location even when not connected to a network. So you can use a Nexus as a GPS in an automobile. An iPad is pretty useless for that.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

True, can't argue with that!

organicmom24

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I would go with the galaxy. i have both the nexus and galaxy and overall i love my galaxy :) it also works better with pairing blue tooth to make calls with either magic jack, spare phone, or skype

For videos, the galaxy is awesome! i love my vampire diaries on netflix and its perfect picture and sound quality. Also web browsing is super fast :)

RTRIPPLE63

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014