Nikon entry level... yes?

lollino

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Hello all,
I'm on a Reflex crisis, I wish to buy one but I still have some doubt.
I'll tell you some thought I had hoping to receive your feedback.
I landed on a entry level category.

Why an entry level?
Budget: about 800euro.

Full Frame / Focus points / Double ring / pentaprisme: I don't know what they are thus I don't need them, right?

indipendent buttons: I'm sure is more confortable but I'm sure this doesn't justify an upper camera level.

Weight and dimensions: 500gr are enough to be easy carried on. More could be annoying.

Which entry-level?

D3200 and D5200: to exclude for their price/quality ratio, in addiction these camera don't take the most of the 24Mp sensor.

D3100 e D5100: great quality price ratio. I see one difference, on d5100 there's the HDR indipendent button, is it to activate the autobracketing? does the D3100 have the autobracketing? why use autobracketing if it's possible to use RAW and then do HDR?

What kind of picture I wish take?

HDR: I love it, just the question on Raw on the upper lines.

Photo with long exposure time (blurry): I need a filter, which one? there's a specific name for this technic?

Landscape: I live close to nature, it will be easy to take great mountains and lake pictures. I tried a 10-24mm, ok great but expensive. I just mention it because it could be an help choosing lens.
Foto sportive (equitazione):non richiedo un grande zoom ma una velocità dell’otturatore abbastanza elevata e l’autofocus. Non credo qui ci siano problemi con le due.

People and details: I think 18-55 is ok, but I should buy the brother il 55-300, I'm not sure if 18-105 is better to start with. I heard that 16-85 is largely better but I can't understand why!!! Waiting for 18-140... maybe doesn't worth.

I think is everything, thank you for your help!

Lorenzo

Christiaan Lourens

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Hello Lorenzo :)

Haha my last name is Lourens so it's almost a family name, well first off you would want the D5200 they are great nifty camera's. The swivel LCD display really comes in handy once it's on a tripod ect.

As for the built in HDR capabilities that has been there since the D5000 (which I still own and use as a all purpose camera) so that if it were to fall, get stolen it's not so bad.

Just remember you can always shoot HDR manually also by just shooting 1 stop over and 1 stop under the regular exposure. So it is not that important, although it helps, but you will get the hang of things in no time.

Always buy the latest camera there really is no use in buying older camera's as the day of film is long gone and technology always improves.

Even if it is just sensor quality and you just see Megapixels and don't realise the difference it is there.

18-55mm is a great little lens for beginners, but I would even suggest getting a 35mm lens (it's the old "standard lens") 50mm's for FF camera's equivalent. this lens will not have zoom as it is a prime but you can always use your feet to zoom, their aperture is always larger than zoom lenses so you have more light entering so you can play around with depth of field a lot more than with the standard zoom lens.

You need a TRIPOD for both of the photo types you want to take.

Blurry & HDR both require a tripod.

I also suggest getting the hand held infrared remote trigger so that you don't have to press the shutter when taking photographs so the possibility of camera shake is eliminated completely.

For now just set it to 2s or 5s delay from when you pressed it.

Full frame is just a larger scene in your photo (your entry level camera's are cropped sensors 1.3x magnification)

Thus you will have a "zoomed in" effect compared to someone who took the same picture at the same place with the same glass.

Once you get more zoom lenses i.e. a telephoto to be specific you will see that the 1.3x magnification actually assists you greatly. Because you get free magnification.

FF's are also allot more expensive and as a beginner you really can't afford one. The Nikon D600 would be the entry level FF

Trust me there are people who only shoot crop sensors and are professional. It all depends on you, as you said you don't need it. If you want more stuff in the picture move back if you want less stuff zoom in or move forward. Just use your legs coupled with the zoom :) also shoot in Manual!!!

That is how you will learn to take great pictures.

Good luck man