Nintendo Can Remotely Disable New 3DS System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotelromeo

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
[citation][nom]SephirothMK[/nom]No, but the car doesn't magically BRICK when you install a bigger exaust, remove the limiter, get new pimpy rims and some neon lights.If these shitty companies proceed to enforce their silly ways of saying: "You buy our product, but we still own it", who knows what might happen to the world industry as a whole. This isn't about piracy, heck this isn't even about Sony and Nintendo, they are small fish. What happens when EVERY company that sells products does this and doesn't get punished? "Ok, you buy that ketchup from us for use on a hamburger, but if you put it over a chickenburger, the ketchup has a kill switch that makes it turn into piss in your mouth"[/citation]

So genius, come up with your own product then and put your piss-up on it.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i dont understand the hostility you people have against their decision

they don't want you stealing their stuff, so they implemented it. you dont like it? tough luck. its not liek its intrusive. dont buy it then.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
You know, I honestly couldn't care less about what warnings one retailer is putting out. This isn't an official warning from Nintendo, it's some vaguely worded engrish statement that something may happen. The way it sounds, it's more like soft/hard modding could perhaps brick the system, which is true of any console mod. A flash cart works by duping the system into thinking it's a legit cart. As long as they continue to make the system think it's running a real cart, there is no way for them to stop it. The "whitelist" of approved cartridges however may make it so that a system mod is necessary, causing the risk of system bricking.

Let's be realistic, do you actually expect them to brick thousands of systems? You mistake them for Sony. Nintendo isn't the one turning off "features" just to try and save themselves.
If they did this, they'd lose legit customers and the REAL pirates would go out and buy a new system. Buying a new 3DS is less than the cost of 10 games, so when the games are free, the system price is no trouble.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
"Because of terms of agreement above"

Here is what I don't get. People don't get to read the terms of service/agreement til AFTER they buy a system and open it. Legally, the terms are invalid, because the system is already paid for. Been arguing this for awhile on other consoles (Linux and PS3s) and online services, but I am betting there will be a class action against companies eventually.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
[citation][nom]itchyisvegeta[/nom]"Because of terms of agreement above"Here is what I don't get. People don't get to read the terms of service/agreement til AFTER they buy a system and open it. Legally, the terms are invalid, because the system is already paid for. Been arguing this for awhile on other consoles (Linux and PS3s) and online services, but I am betting there will be a class action against companies eventually.[/citation]

Let me put it another way. You can go to any store, not agree to any terms of agreement/service, because there is nothing to sign, and still buy the mobile console. Now that it is yours, you can do WHATEVER you want to it. Modding a mobile device is completely legal, established already by the courts, which is why Apple can't do anything about the modded iphones.

Nintendo's only legal leg to stand on, and they should, would be pirated software.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You freaking sheep are pathetic. Nintendo is being stupid. First off all all you idiots backing nintendo with no other arguement then their right. There are reasons other then pirating games to use mods. But I know you don't get that and you eat all the crap that is feed to you.

But don't worry I'll be laughing when nintendo bricks hundred of thousand users due to a mistake on their part. Which isn't far fetched at all to think it's gonna happen sooner or later.

By the way I'm not a nintendo hater, I was actually thinking of buying a 3ds. And I still might just as soon as hackers find a way around this.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]You freaking sheep are pathetic. Nintendo is being stupid. First off all all you idiots backing nintendo with no other arguement then their right. There are reasons other then pirating games to use mods. But I know you don't get that and you eat all the crap that is feed to you. But don't worry I'll be laughing when nintendo bricks hundred of thousand users due to a mistake on their part. Which isn't far fetched at all to think it's gonna happen sooner or later. By the way I'm not a nintendo hater, I was actually thinking of buying a 3ds. And I still might just as soon as hackers find a way around this.[/citation]

i bought a ds because i could turn it into a mp3 player, and a txt reader on the go along with it holding games.

i thought a touch screen mp3 player was intresting at the time, wanted a ds for its games, and wanted to read some "books" on the go, so it was a good investment.

and while having all that, i don't have to risk losing a memory card (game) going from place to place, as i can store almost all my collection that i actively play on 1 2gb micro sd. i have lost gba games because they are so damn small, and ds and 3ds are even smaller. i have all my ds games in their boxes almost untouched, just so i never lose what i payed for.

my psp is moded for battery life reasons. and i can be damn sure that if i get a psp2 i will mod it so i can fit more than 1 game on their small as shit cartages.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Any equipment that is connected to a network, whether that be wired or wireless can be bricked these days, the question is do Nintendo have the legal right to brick that said piece of equipment?

I would argue no, there are no indications on the box that when you purchase it, that it will not be your product. When you go to the counter to purchase it, you don't ask for one by saying I want to lease that console, you say you want to purchase or buy one.

If I go to a store and say I want to buy that product, but then after the transaction is made they try to alter the terms of that sale then it is fraud and the new terms of sale cannot be enforced. When I purchase a product I own it, end of. If I want to paint it, break it, alter it, it is for me to decide.

Them bricking a 3DS for me having pirated games (I don't pirate btw this is hypothetical) is also illegal, the cannot make a punitive punishment without due process. Sony illegally altered the PS3, but the problem is winning a lawsuit against these mega corporations takes lots of money and damn GOOD lawyers which are just unavailable to the average Joe.

So can they brick your DS3? Legally no,,,, But hey when has legality been an issue for major corporations?

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hackers suck...People who pirate should burn in hell and/or get a job and stop living in there moms house. cheap asses.

Actually pirating on the DS has become a very big problem. And the last time I bought a gameboy advance game, it turned out to be pirated.

I am all for homebrew, but mosrly the devices are used by pirates to pirate, and are making homebrew look bad. Too bad there was not a way for homebrew to authorize homebrew app to run, while blocking the pirate apps. (kind of like getting nintento to authorize the good apps, or police their keys).

AEternal1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
PC gaming for the WIN! Asus, nor intel, will BRICK my computer for modding it. in fact, my hardware is specifically built by the manufacturer to be modded. thats the reason why i paid extra cash for a high end system. i would not pay less money for a computer that i cannot mod. i will not pay ANY money for any console that i do not own the right to with as i please after purchase. now if consoles started offering incentives to high end gamers like me, such as the ability to add in hardware or to change the bios specs to suit my needs....then MAYBE i'll look into console gaming....until then, real gaming belongs on a PC.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
If there's one thing these countermeasures do, it's upgrade the hackers from villain to hero status. All of a sudden they're not the bad guys trying to steal or break stuff, but actually the good guys trying to make the products you buy work in a way you intended it to.

charlesdjones1

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Consumers are outraged because this means they actually have to start paying for Nintendo's IP again... go figure. If you don't play illegal copies of games, then what reason do you have to be upset?

sdeleon515

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Dear "omgz I want to mod sh*t FU Nintendo" club:

lets face it the major and predominant reason to mod anything is to simply play pirated games. Its the truth you douches. Does it matter a small percentage desire to have more ability to customize their own device and will never pirate a game? Does the rule "a few bad apples ruin the whole bunch" ring a bell? Can they brick the 3DS? We can ask Microsoft's Xbox division on that and the answer might be yes. I mean what is your retort: "omgz you bricked my 3DS because I pirated a game?". Yea smart. Its like calling the police to report someone stole your 420~supply.

If your desire is to pirate games, hey guess what I really don't give a sh*t. Accept the consequences and stop whining like a little girl. Its part of the deal: you hack&mod sh*t your playing with fire. Why whine and moan as if your a victim. Your like begging to be a victim who was sh*t after trying to break into someone's house. We don't give a sh*t, you own the 3DS physically but you don't own the contents to it and they have a right to brick you for illegal usage of their device.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Only the spoiled pirates are commenting with hostility here. What is the deal? You;re suddenly angry because Nintendo won't let you play 5,000 games for free that artists put their time into, warranting compensation for? You are all the cancerous population of this new millenium. Pay for the games you want to play, you don't have to play every game, for most are not worth their respective price, as other games are. PS3 GT5 for example, this $60 game is worth more than 10,000 , perhaps even 50,000 crap games combined in the last 20 years. Look and support the games and artists that are worth paying to play. Good for nintendo, I hope to read soon bricked reports from people buying from Pacific Mall Kiosks across the land.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Great, so if the hackers find a way to hijak the identity of my console and use it to pirate games in some foreign country, my console gets bricked. Like I really want this hanging over my head. No thanks!

I guess it is safe to assume that these hackers will probably decide that since they can't crack Nintendos one time pad network keys, that they wouldn't try some hijak app and just use some man in the middle type impersonation. Once Nintendo bricks, for the hacker, it is just time to retrieve a new victim identity from the online database. For the victim, it is time to call Nintendo support and try to fight to get back what you legitimately paid for.

Maybe Dodge (or some hacker) will brick my truck will I am driving it because I put a Bully Dog in it.

charlesdjones1

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
You guys are throwing some pretty extreme senarios out there, because we all know hackers manage to hijak our computers all the time and turn those off right?

G

@hotelromeo

i guess you like the idea of ford installing a few sticks of C4 in your focus and the moment you service your car at any other place then a ford dealership they get to push the nuke button

the surest way to minimize piracy is to produce good products at a reasonable price (i be more then happy to pay a little extra for a good game, conversely so i would be happy to pay alot less for a mediocre game, but i sure as hell dont like paying any price for a crappy game), look at windows 7, sure there a whole bunch of pirated versions running around but it's also one of MS most successful OS and the sales figure shows it. There are some folks no matter what you do wont ever buy the games anyways, they shouldn't be trying to stop those guys because they are as equally as determined as you trying to stop them

the number of folks i know with modded wii to normal wii, is just me vs 5 and i modded it so i can use it as a damn dvd player (why the bloody hell would Nintendo not allow the damn thing to do that when it was technically capable)

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This is the sad state that we are in.
Companies have to resort to this because theft is rampant and the government is doing little to nothing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.