Nintendo Can Remotely Disable New 3DS System

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SapienChavez

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
im done with being a "gamer."

i would like to thank all the game companies that nickle and dimed me and treated me like a criminal while doing it: thank you for opening my eyes!

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
A lot of old school Nintendo fans that have been gaming since the 80's bought all of those systems and the games that came with them over the years. Those gamers would feel a sense of entitlement to hack their latest mobile device to be able to play games they'd purchased over the last 25 years without having to buy them again. I personally have no interest in mobile gaming of any sort but I would certainly support any "pirate" that was pirating for the above reasons. I think that's ultimately what Nintendo wants isn't? Keep selling the old IPs while releasing and selling updated or new IPs, and milking it all like 50 different versions of the Star Wars movies? :D

captaincharisma

Distinguished
That's great since the only Nintendo users I know are 10 years old and younger, they only thing they hack is the cookie jar. Nintendo is irrelevant.

well that doesn't surprise anyone here sounds like you don't have any friends at all or your just a shut-in 10yo yourself and just troll on the net all day

FAIL

captaincharisma

Distinguished
i
m done with being a "gamer."

i would like to thank all the game companies that nickle and dimed me and treated me like a criminal while doing it: thank you for opening my eyes!

well ill be the first to say seeya and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Because pirates update their systems using Nintendo's service and not re-released already hacked firmware that might have this already removed from it....

Waste of time and money.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]A lot of old school Nintendo fans that have been gaming since the 80's bought all of those systems and the games that came with them over the years. Those gamers would feel a sense of entitlement to hack their latest mobile device to be able to play games they'd purchased over the last 25 years without having to buy them again. I personally have no interest in mobile gaming of any sort but I would certainly support any "pirate" that was pirating for the above reasons. I think that's ultimately what Nintendo wants isn't? Keep selling the old IPs while releasing and selling updated or new IPs, and milking it all like 50 different versions of the Star Wars movies?[/citation]

dude whatever you smoking i want some

by your insane logic i have been shopping at the same grocery store for the past 20 years so i should be entitled to shoplift anything i want in the store from now on. yea this is what people are thinking when they mod there systems LMAO

FAIL

hotelromeo

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Haven't purchased a Nintendo product since I spent $199.99 on my SNES, and never will again. Nintendo is lingering, Hackers are criminals by the way.

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]sdeleon515[/nom]lets face it the major and predominant reason to mod anything is to simply play pirated games.[/citation]

This is entirely true. Sure, there are a few honest types out there who are simply tinkering for the sake of tinkering, I won't deny that. The vast--and I mean VAST--majority of console modding goes directly towards the purpose of playing pirated games. And pirated games are bad, boys and girls.

rust1d

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
These companies need to stop saying they are "selling" but are "leasing". When you BUY a car, you can do what you want to it. When you LEASE a car, you cannot replace rims, replace the engine, add cool air intake etc. When I BUY a computer, I can add a new video card, DL games etc with no trouble.

When I BUY a PS3, I should be able to do what I want, when I want and how I want. When I BUY a 3DS, I should be able to run any game I want, how I want and where I want.

If I sell you my video card, I could care less what you do to it after I get payment.

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
These companies need to stop saying they are "selling" but are "leasing". When you BUY a car, you can do what you want to it. When you LEASE a car, you cannot replace rims, replace the engine, add cool air intake etc. When I BUY a computer, I can add a new video card, DL games etc with no trouble.

When I BUY a PS3, I should be able to do what I want, when I want and how I want. When I BUY a 3DS, I should be able to run any game I want, how I want and where I want.

If I sell you my video card, I could care less what you do to it after I get payment.

You should absolutely be able to play the games you want on your 3DS--provided that you purchased them legally. Why should you be entitled to play stolen games on your console? If someone caught you installing a stolen stereo in your car, you'd go to jail. If you get caught installing a stolen operating system on your computer, most of the time it can be remotely disabled. And if you play stolen games on your 3DS, you get it bricked.

Sounds pretty fair to me.

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]dude whatever you smoking i want someby your insane logic i have been shopping at the same grocery store for the past 20 years so i should be entitled to shoplift anything i want in the store from now on. yea this is what people are thinking when they mod there systems LMAOFAIL[/citation]

You must eat your 70 dollar video games then, you didn't graduate high school did you?
if you did then our school system truly is in peril.

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]hotelromeo[/nom]Haven't purchased a Nintendo product since I spent $199.99 on my SNES, and never will again. Nintendo is lingering, Hackers are criminals by the way.[/citation]

This is a lie

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]hotelromeo[/nom]Haven't purchased a Nintendo product since I spent $199.99 on my SNES, and never will again. Nintendo is lingering, Hackers are criminals by the way.[/citation]
This is the truth.

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]lazymangaka[/nom]You should absolutely be able to play the games you want on your 3DS--provided that you purchased them legally. Why should you be entitled to play stolen games on your console? If someone caught you installing a stolen stereo in your car, you'd go to jail. If you get caught installing a stolen operating system on your computer, most of the time it can be remotely disabled. And if you play stolen games on your 3DS, you get it bricked.Sounds pretty fair to me.[/citation]

What if I took the stereo out and modified it so I could play .flac files... see you just don't really understand what's going on with corporations or the law, you just think it's simple and clean cut.

Maybe I want 3ds to play .flac files because I want it to play the format I want it to play... should they brick my 3ds... they will...

you people advocating anti mod don't seem to get that this picture is bigger than just video games.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
With piracy the way it is, cloud gaming could be starting to appeal to a lot of developers. Done right, it could almost wipe out theft, I mean - piracy.

That'll be a sad day when that happens though..

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]This is the truth.[/citation]

Not only do I doubt he has not purchased Nintendo games since the SNES, it is a complete lie when he says all hackers are criminals... we have hackers in government, corporations and we pay them to hack... do you people really have such low intelligence that you don't know this when you spout lies in public space?

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]With piracy the way it is, cloud gaming could be starting to appeal to a lot of developers. Done right, it could almost wipe out theft, I mean - piracy.That'll be a sad day when that happens though..[/citation]

Cloud gaming can appeal to the game companies all they want, if we don't want it we won't have it, cloud is really just a system of control which has advantages and disadvantages. the reason we don't use cloud now is because in the past cloud was and always will have to bad of disadvantages.

those of us from the pre 90s prefer to own things, those born after can be trained to not care that they rent everything and pay more... it's just the way our world works.

Status
Not open for further replies.