Nintendo Can Remotely Disable New 3DS System

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Hey you like it you buy it.That's what I do anyway.[/citation]
No, that is not it, it's you like it you lease it. You have not bought something that can be remotely shut down, you are leasing it only for as long as the company allows you to keep it.

AEternal1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
People are really not understanding what hacking and modding is about. All my friends do it, and not for piracy reasons. We all mod PSPs because that is some powerful and versatile hardware. We all use it a multimedia center on the go, we watch movies and play music videos. We use them as remote controls for our devices, and a cool thing to WOW our friends with. Ive added the android OS to my ipod touch simply because it is cool. I cant pirate anything by doing that....it's just cool. We buy physical media, and that media is very fragile, and prone to damage. we dont get replacements for the expensive little disks, so that can be an instant major monetary loss. so i buy my games, and download hacked versions so that i can keep my valued fragile physical media safe. and if the fbi raids my home, i can show that i own every game i have installed on my computer. but thanks to hackers, i can keep my investment safe. theres more than a few games out there with vast modder folowing, and guess what...those mods can really make a game a lot more fun, look a lot better, and just simply run better. i'm more likely to buy a game with a large modder following because i know my game isnt going to get stale as quickly as a locked down unmoddable game.

some poele think that piracy is the main reason for modding, and hacking. i have just shown that its actually the least reason for modding and hacking. im sure that 90% of pirates are just too poor to afford the greater joys of American life. i'm sad for that really. the other 10% will probably get what they have coming to them.
but to support modding is to support versatile powerful gaming programs and hardware.

Xaios

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Maybe Dodge (or some hacker) will brick my truck will I am driving it because I put a Bully Dog in it.[/citation]

If you were using your Dodge to conduct software piracy, I would wish they could.

G

Modding, Hacking, & Piracy, four very different things. Most Piracy requires the least amount of Hacking, on some systems they also require minor amounts of physical Modding, and those are only required to get around the securities companies have put in to try to stop them.

But I have been Hacking & Modding my legally purchased programs since I was 8 way back on the Mac SE30. My most memorable hack from years back was when I made a Firebat in Star Craft: Brood Wars spawn creep under his feet and fire the Yamato Cannon with no energy cost and anywhere on the map I could see.

Modding for me is about altering the experience of my software. Like cheatcodes in a game, sometimes I play the way it was originally intended, sometimes I want to try something else with the game, and when the programmers didn't think of something I want to be able to do I find a mod, trainer, or hack for it or figure out how to hack it in myself.

The programmers at 2Dboy didn't think to add alternate resolutions to their game World of Goo, so people use GooTools and other software mods to add that feature. Thes programs has NOTHING to do with Piracy.

AwesomeMod for The Sims 3 alters the game play, and has NOTHING to do with Piracy. Well, it can tell the system not to ask for the CD, but again, I already purchased it and don't want to have to keep switching disks between games.

On that subject, Blizzard finally realized a few years ago that their players didn't want to switch disks, so they made an update to Star Craft that allowed you to copy some of those files from the disk to the computer so you didn't need it anymore. Bliz has, for the most part, been great to the Mod Community. Even though most my mods are officially against the TOS, they don't crack down on anything unless its ruining the experience for other players.

So, please, when talking about Mods, hacks, and Piracy, try to learn something about it before you start claiming that we all just want to steal games. Most of our community are not pirates, just gamers going for a different experience.

By some of the examples people here have been giving it would be like having the ink run and smear off of my Monopoly board because our family decided we wanted to have everyone start with three random properties when the game begins, and all the other rule changes we use in the Green/Blackburn Rules.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]ultameca[/nom]Not only do I doubt he has not purchased Nintendo games since the SNES, it is a complete lie when he says all hackers are criminals... we have hackers in government, corporations and we pay them to hack... do you people really have such low intelligence that you don't know this when you spout lies in public space?[/citation]
Oh okay. Yeah, didn't see that word 'hackers' as being a general term. Yeah, just hackers that are stealing are thieves.

[citation][nom]ultameca[/nom]Cloud gaming can appeal to the game companies all they want, if we don't want it we won't have it, cloud is really just a system of control which has advantages and disadvantages. the reason we don't use cloud now is because in the past cloud was and always will have to bad of disadvantages.those of us from the pre 90s prefer to own things, those born after can be trained to not care that they rent everything and pay more... it's just the way our world works.[/citation]
Yes. It does seem less and less people care about actually owning things, just because it's cheaper not to. Whatever's cheapest will end up coming out on top. Whatever's going to benefit the developers the most is what I'd want to see. I prefer to own things as well - seems like we're a dying breed.

t_wilson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]i hope a hacker gets the code and bricks every single one of these devices remotely as they are activated by customers.[/citation]
jajajaja

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
What if I took the stereo out and modified it so I could play .flac files... see you just don't really understand what's going on with corporations or the law, you just think it's simple and clean cut.

Maybe I want 3ds to play .flac files because I want it to play the format I want it to play... should they brick my 3ds... they will...

you people advocating anti mod don't seem to get that this picture is bigger than just video games.

Truthfully, I 100% think that you should be able to do that to a product you own. That is a legal, perfectly legitimate thing to modify a product to do. The problem is, scores of modders and hackers before you have completely ruined it for you. If console hacking and modding had limited itself to doing neat things like installing Windows or playing FLAC files, I don't think that we'd have a problem. The thing is, as soon as that hack comes along someone has to toss an emulator on there and the pirates are off to the races.

In short: Pirates are why we can't have nice things.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ultameca[/nom]You must eat your 70 dollar video games then, you didn't graduate high school did you?if you did then our school system truly is in peril.[/citation]

i have no problem with that because i don't buy crap games that are only good once. i still have my copy of chrono trigger and final fantasy 7 and still go back to them every year.

from the way your acting is a better example of how bad the school system is failing. let me guess the U.S school system? not surprised

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I don't use any portable hardware or console gaming, but I think Nintendo has all the right to do this. After all, there's a precedent - Microsoft bricking Xbox360s.

Besides, Nintendo does have a point about piracy on DS. Every single friend I know use a R4 card - none of them have ever bought a game in their lives.

sainthood

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Not gonna get into this to much, just gonna say one simple fact, Pirates will overcome this and the paying customer will somehow get hurt in the end, like always. I was gonna buy a 3ds but now im gonna wait to see how this pans out! I dont really want a product thats being constantly babysat. I may just wait for the npg (Im not a fanboy, I own all systems-ps3, 360, dsi-xl, psp and others and love them all.) I just Hate anti piracy measures that end up hurting only the honest paying customers.

G

Too bad that's illegal, Nintendo. Youhad me worried there for about half a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.