Nintendo Chief Cuts His Compensation in Half

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I will certainly be buying the 3DS at this lower price point.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I think that is a good show of faith.

If only American companies were this way. Instead, we give out bigger and bigger bonuses to our CEO's with bailout money for completely wrecking our economy in the first place.

Either way, aside from the 3D features, I don't see any reason to spend any money on a 3DS when I already have a normal DS.

redhotbd

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Take any entry-level psychology class, and you'll find that Japan conducts business WAY more differently than the US. When US companies are about to go under, CEOs give themselves I nice, fat bonus check and leave all the employees below them adrift. In Japan, CEOs kind of treat their co-workers like an extension of their family and are willing to take hits in monetary income for the sake of keeping the company alive. This speaks for the loyalty and trust these companies have within their corporate structure... I admire that. Way to go, Satoru...

G

FINALLY! Someone who takes responsibility. I greatly respect the decision that he has made. Not many other people would do that. Too many greedy people busy lining their pockets to bother. Now if only we could convince our government to do that......

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]moonshire[/nom]FINALLY! Someone who takes responsibility. I greatly respect the decision that he has made. Not many other people would do that. Too many greedy people busy lining their pockets to bother. Now if only we could convince our government to do that......[/citation]
As opposed to Wall St. bankers, who fubared the economy and their companies and still demanded the bailouts and their bonuses.

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Phishy714[/nom]If only American companies were this way. Instead, we give out bigger and bigger bonuses to our CEO's with bailout money for completely wrecking our economy in the first place.[/citation]

At least GM has repaid the government.

G

Hmm true the wall st... was referring to singaporean government not US government. Where our minister are the highest paid in the world

fruitn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
It's the same in (most of) EU as in the US. I do really hope that those greedy people will 1 day regret their decisions.

Though I'm not going to buy the 3DS anyway, I prefer a phone thingy that can be used as an all-purpose device instead of having 2-4 different devices on the go.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I found this refreshing. When the big government bailout took place a few years back, those companies bailed out b the government gave themselves huge bonuses with some of the money.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
can't hate the guy for caring for his company enough to take a 50% pay cut and his other directors taking 20-30% across the board. that's just unheard of!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
respect for this dude. cares enough for his company and workers to take responsibility and cut his pay like that. I dont think Ive heard of something like this, the rich executives making big cuts but not 1 employee is cut. If only executives in other giant companies did such things.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Nintendo is just a class company to have execs willing to do this..I'm sure glad they didn't sell out to Microsoft awhile back.

BlueFireAngel

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Not all US CEO's take bailouts or pay increases as their company fails. Before you blanket the entire US commercial system with rhetoric, please consider what you are saying and it's implications.

G

That's some expensive publicity... I would have been more impressed if it was just done, and not announced.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Aoster87[/nom]At least GM has repaid the government.[/citation]

No they haven't, actually. There is still alot of heat going around about GM and it's "repayment" claims.

But this is a very clear example of just how much better managed a japanese company is compared to a similar american one. I can't recall the source(but I'm sure I can find it if desired) that a Japanese CEO makes 16x the salary of the "typical" worker. American CEO's frequently make over 300x the wages of a typical worker... Americans, in general, are just greedy, power hungry individuals, that want as much as possible, with zero to no effort involved. True, that is basically what everyone should want(the best compensation possible for their time, skills, and effort.. But seriously?), but with our "system" currently running the way it does, it allows for extravagantly outrageous abuse. Just another failure, on the belt, of the US. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.