Nintendo Kicks Butt in Console Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well duh, the Wii is the cheapest and is geared towards everyone. If everyone had a PS3 it wouldnt be the coolest sexiest blu ray player/HD game player that it is.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
One may think someone is creating these numbers... I mean every time I see one of these statistics, Wii has outsold the other consoles by like a million... I still don't understand why people think it's so great, even the Xbox Arcade can out do it IMO..

I can still remember the days where every one made fun of the Wii because of it's "cardboard boxish look" and "it's stupid name". Who else remembers that?

Hitokage

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]ps3 does not play true blue ray; it can play blue ray but it is like HDDVD[/citation]

What? It's a Blu-ray player like any other. Sony has pledged to update the firmware to keep it as up to date.

HD-DVD was indeed a better format, but it lost support from the industry merely because of the penetration of Blu-ray players (PS3s) into the market. However, Blu-ray sales are still not meeting expectations. Too damn expensive, including the PS3.

bandit79

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Correction,the Wii is not the cheapest.The Xbox360 Arcade is @ $199.And I still for the life of me can not figure out who is buying all these Wii's.I own all 3 (360,Wii,PS3).The Wii hardly ever gets played by my kids or myself.I was using the PS3 as a BluRay player that is until the $199 BluRay players hit the market.Out of all 3 my 360 is played the most.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
The problem with the Wii is not so much the console itself, but the market and the games.

They usually end up collecting the most dust because most of the games try to be 'pick-up and play', versus a real gaming experience with any sort of complexity or depth.

I just hope that next generation we don't see underpowered consoles with huge abundances of glorified mini-game collections, because share holders of companies point at Nintendo and say "Why aren't you doing that!".

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
lol @ all the ppl here that think that just because THEY dont play Wii the most out of their 3 consoles, that everyone in America is the same.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]ps3 does not play true blue ray; it can play blue ray but it is like HDDVD[/citation]

Definitely a Blu-ray player - in fact, many web sites rate the PS3 as the best player to get versus the dedicated players as far as features and quality.

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]One may think someone is creating these numbers... I mean every time I see one of these statistics, Wii has outsold the other consoles by like a million... I still don't understand why people think it's so great, even the Xbox Arcade can out do it IMO..I can still remember the days where every one made fun of the Wii because of it's "cardboard boxish look" and "it's stupid name". Who else remembers that?[/citation]

Why does the Wii outsell so much? The vast majority of consumers are NOT serious gamers.

As a parent concerned about your child's activity level, are you more likely to invest in a Wii with a Wii Fit or dance pad or a PS3/X-Box 360? As a parent of an 8 year old who really wants a game system for Christmas, do you want your child getting games for the Wii or for the pS3/X-Box 360?

Also, as a typical consumer - you know, the ones who make Solitaire one of the most popular games around - do you want to invest the time in learning to play the PS3/X-Box 360 games or pick up and play a Wii game? This is not to say that only the Wii has pick up and play games, only that they are marketing themselves as such while the others don't. If you look at the commercials, Wii games show people of all ages playing the games while the other systems often advertise their games like movie trailers.

Although no serious gamer would ever prefer the Wii, but it sells so well due to the economies of scale. I would not be surprised to learn that the casual gamers outrank the serious gamers by a factor of two or three orders of magnitude.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006

what?! its one of the best Blu-Ray players out there.

serp9000

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Between my roommate and I, we have all 3 of the next-gen systems. I typically play the 360, he typically plays the ps3 and Wii, but when we have people over it's the Wii all the way. It's much more fun for people who aren't gamers to play Wii games, they are much more intuitive and more designed for fun than competitiveness.

It isn't for everyone. If you are posting comments on Tom's Hardware, you are more than likely already about 1000 levels above the casual games player, and just don't understand.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Why the Wii outsells the others:

15-35 male demographic < everyone else.

If you cannot get yourself to look from an overall perspective instead of just your own little niche gaming segment, then you'll never understand it.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]zodiacfml[/nom]i agree, a Wii is simple enough for non gamers, fun too.i've seen non gamers enjoyed tennis and boxing on the it.[/citation]
But very few games make it to a depth that I've come to enjoy as a gamer. The majority of Wii games are pretty vapid.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Personaly im not a console fan. Wii is still fun to fill gaps in my day where im bored with real games. Wii is just fun i play real games on my pc which would make my HDTV dazzle as was mentioned unlikes any console i have played yet. I really also dont want to get into a dibate here but the only thing HD DVD had on blue ray was it was available and cheaper other then that it wasnt up to snuff.

Getting a wii doesnt make you out of touch dont be so narrow minded ffs. get over it wii is fun for what it was ment for. Has it ever accurd to anyone that maybe some people liked the ps2 games more then the crap xbox has?

Xbox and ps3 have the same games i like NORMALY that i can also buy on pc making them useless and a waste of money for me. Wii normaly doesnt but thier games are more casual anyways and more family friends party oriented. Simple doesnt always mean less fun. I mean people play wow and thats freaking simple and highly boring to me.

G

My high school bought six Wii for the school and a two senior center that I know bought three Wii each. So, just between them is twelve Wii...

Also my economics teacher just got a wii just because of his WIFE not DAUGHTERS!!!!!!!! So yeah, just like Brain Age for DS...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]One may think someone is creating these numbers... I mean every time I see one of these statistics, Wii has outsold the other consoles by like a million... I still don't understand why people think it's so great, even the Xbox Arcade can out do it IMO..I can still remember the days where every one made fun of the Wii because of it's "cardboard boxish look" and "it's stupid name". Who else remembers that?[/citation]
I'm not a console guy. Haven't played on one since the gray nintendo, but I had my eyes on the wii when it was released. I don't remember the days where everyone made fun of it - I do remember times just before its launch and people were critical about it's performance. But that chatter was gone when it was released and everyone and their dog wanted one. Hell even I considered buying one.

I think the wii is popular because 1) it doesn't cost much more than a ps2 2) people who don't know much about computers don't know there are 3 choices for a 'modern' console. They know the playstation or xbox because someone they know have the old versions, and they know the wii, because it's different.
So basicly everyone who wants a system for their kids knows what the wii is, but may or may not know about the ps3 or 360. Eventually the ps3 is too expensive for a 'toy for the kids' and the 360 isn't really popular, left is the wii.
In short. You get a wii if you don't know much about consoles, or if you like the concept. You get a ps3 if you are looking for a standalone blueray player or your kids specificly demanded such one, and you get the 360 if you're on a budget and don't want a wii.

G

I've had a Wii for a long time now. Personally, i have mixed opinions with the controller. I love the fact that you can just point at the screen and use it as a mouse cursor. I hate the shaking part of it. For the last 6 months I haven't even turned on my wii, but just recently I have been getting into wiiware titles. Those are amazing and so much fun! Also i've been delving into homebrew too, which is really exciting for the wii.
Overall, if my wii wasn't modded, i would have sold it long ago. I use it for small puzzle games and quick online games, ie bomberman, tetris, etc.
If I want to play deep games, nothing beats my PC.
So IMHO, Wii(modded) + PC = Fun... Wii by itself is a fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.