Sony Chief: Nintendo Makes ''Babysitting Tools''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Considering how Nintendo was the reason why Sony went into the gaming business in the first place, I wouldn't be surprised if someone from there could simply retort with a "if you're not happy that we're so successful, copy us like all those other times".

dillonpeterliam

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
OK, I just became a member so I could post a comment (but im glad I did cuss I love this site!)

As a fan of all platforms the above article gives the impression that Sony is getting desperate! I actually feel bad for Jack! I mean when a company has to attack other company's it usually means there jealous, isnt that the first thing we do as kids? attack people we are jealous off.

The three video game giants (Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo) are not going anywhere anytime soon, so Sony please learn to get along . . .

randomkid

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
This Sony Chief is talking nonsense belittling WII and XBOX. XBOX Kinect is the best motion sensing game so far. I have a powerful PC but I still bought XBOX because of Kinect.

On the other hand, I think Sony's MOVE is just pathetic. Of course it will be an option for those who already have PS3 in the first place. But if you want to buy a new set, I think KINECT + XBOX is the real deal.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Heh... Sony really can't take being in last place in the console wars.

I think his little hissy fit means that he is the one that needs the babysitter...

Sony is garbage - never owned a Sony system and never will.

G

Basic psychologically manipulative marketing. It's because of comments like his that people believe things like what he says. I doubt he's arrogant.

Like most people in marketing and the business of manipulating/creating pop culture, he is probably very aware of the psychological techniques he is using. The practice of these techniques are insulting, mainly to those who fall for it.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Time to market. Nintendo has the latest and greatest out now, so that is the market to develop for. This will probably give them the time they need to absorb more of the devs attention and hopefully more titles. If that happens, then all these other things will become less relevant (being embarassed to hold one, 3D, etc)

Also being that the DS has pretty much dominated this market already, with backward compatibility, there is added value there.

To be honest, I think the gaming phone is where the market should go. At least you can bring that into the crapper with you and kill half an hour or so at work.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
So let me get this straight, the 3DS is a kids toy in which no adult with self respect would touch. Yet Sony is copying the 3D abilities for its own product. I'm sorry but that seems a bit hypocritical to me. If he is simply speaking of the games this point is also mute as third party devs make the majority of games for those handhelds. I'm sure Sony wouldn't mind if a ton of those games went on the PSP2. Also I don't recall Street Fighter and Resident Evil to be kids games. So while certainly averagely kid friendly games are more likely to be released on a Nintendo product they have no objection to more adult themed games going on them as well.

I'm no Nintendo fan-boy and not even a current owner or wish to own a 3DS, Heck I may be the last person on the planet to not own a Wii. But I will call BS when I see it. Also he goes on to insult motion gaming... Playstation move anyone? Is he not aware that Sony also decided to jump on that bangwagon as well after it Nintendo did it. (Well technically Nintendo did it back in 1989 but who's counting?) This guy is a illogical fool.

(Side note Sony is only into console making because Nintendo dumped them when they planned on making a console together funny enough the gamepad design they came up with together is still used today with the Playstation consoles the gamepad of course was built heavily on the SNES gamepad design )

mage182

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I refuse to buy Sony anything after the whole Geohot case. If you buy a system it's your right to do with it as you please. There are plenty of other hardware companies out there that I can buy product from.

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Sorry, but I agree with the man. Nintendo products are for children. The games are just simplified pieces of crap that the developers make a crap ton of money off of due to the low cost of developing.

Between PC gaming and the other two consoles, there's really no reason to get anything made by nintendo. The games are just pathetic pieces of casual crap. It's fine for the kids, but there are so many better games out there for the adult gamers.

Feel free to flame me man-children of Toms. Be sure to put on your link cosplay outfit first.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]Sorry, but I agree with the man. Nintendo products are for children. The games are just simplified pieces of crap that the developers make a crap ton of money off of due to the low cost of developing.Between PC gaming and the other two consoles, there's really no reason to get anything made by nintendo. The games are just pathetic pieces of casual crap. It's fine for the kids, but there are so many better games out there for the adult gamers.Feel free to flame me man-children of Toms. Be sure to put on your link cosplay outfit first.[/citation]

Just depends on what type of games you like to play. The Nintendo DS has by far the best JRPGs on their system, but I do have a PSP for the few good ones.

codenamechaz

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
What's sad is that apparently Tretton and everyone else who agrees with Sony's line of thinking have completely forgot about Sony's 12 year old PSP spokesperson.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
28 and loving the DS (waiting for the 3DS rev2)... That dude is so wrong...

There are very good games for the DS that actually appeal to 20-ish "boys", and even older people (think senile, my grandma has a DS too and loves it).

That "it's for another demographic" BS is just a sorry excuse for sayin' "we're not doing as good as we'd like to". Come on, be honest and just make a better product already. The PSP is really cool, but falls short to some things the DS has (like short-travel games: rhythm tengoku or osu tatakae oendan) that some call "gimmicks", but when done right, they add a LOT of game experience (fun exp).

Cheers!

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]YardstickWHACK[/nom]I'm 29, was a paratrooper, ride a motorcycle, front a band, build $15K servers everyday at work, and get hit on almost daily (but I'm glued to one lovely lady), but I'm still getting a 3DS after my next paycheck. This guy is smoking crack.[/citation]

You little baby! stop playing 3d dress up the girl games!!

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Sony is trying to take advantage of a well-known political phenomena in that if you hear a lie often enough, you will think it is true.

Shame on anyone for believing any company's "colorized" marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.