Nintendo Rumored to Announce New 3DS at E3 on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
who cares if you needed an addon for a second analogue stick... caring about looks over function is retarded in my eyes. unless you have a legitimate gripe about the ergonomics, which you very well may, shut up.

that said, a revamp on the 3ds sounds to be about the right thing to do.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Here's an idea, ditch the 3D. Then with the production savings, beef up the hardware.[/citation]

Once developers really spend some time over the next few years with the 3d capabilities I think they'll produce some highly original things. The Original DS at first saw some very lackluster use of the stylus, dual screens & the lower touch capabilities but was used to great effect later on in its life.

Also, it's impossible to change the hardware (audio/graphical/computing) at this point in the game. The Dev kits have long been out and 3DS owners would flip out if their games couldn't run because of the need for the newer version. Even with these potentially bigger screens the resolution of them will most likely be the same as the 3DS.

While I think we are all a little ticked with Nintendo going cheap on the graphics they are not short of innovation. Though it irked me quite a bit knowing how much money the 3DS took to make vs. the original price of $250, that's a serious profit margin except sales didn't make it so.

At it's price point now I think Nintendo has little to worry about, the DS had a terrible launch lineup and for some time afterwards a slow trickle of OK games, but it wound up doing amazingly. Vita needs to hit at least the $200 with a solid bundled memory card to be viable in this changing game world, even with its superior graphical & functional capabilities.

aoneone

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Yay lets have a bigger 3DS screen where my eyes can be even more damaged and maybe permenantly. I sold my 3DS about 4 months after I bought it because it has been proven to ruin your eye sight. No thanks for me! 3DS is dangerous.. trust me

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]gilgamex[/nom]Once developers really spend some time over the next few years with the 3d capabilities I think they'll produce some highly original things. The Original DS at first saw some very lackluster use of the stylus, dual screens & the lower touch capabilities but was used to great effect later on in its life. Also, it's impossible to change the hardware (audio/graphical/computing) at this point in the game. The Dev kits have long been out and 3DS owners would flip out if their games couldn't run because of the need for the newer version. Even with these potentially bigger screens the resolution of them will most likely be the same as the 3DS.While I think we are all a little ticked with Nintendo going cheap on the graphics they are not short of innovation. Though it irked me quite a bit knowing how much money the 3DS took to make vs. the original price of $250, that's a serious profit margin except sales didn't make it so.At it's price point now I think Nintendo has little to worry about, the DS had a terrible launch lineup and for some time afterwards a slow trickle of OK games, but it wound up doing amazingly. Vita needs to hit at least the $200 with a solid bundled memory card to be viable in this changing game world, even with its superior graphical & functional capabilities.[/citation]

once you see a game in 3d that was built for 3d, you wonder how you even played it before.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]once you see a game in 3d that was built for 3d, you wonder how you even played it before.[/citation]

3D requires a fixed view point, so you have to look at it just right or it just jacks up and gives you a headache. For example, it's necessary to turn 3D off for certain aiming options in Zelda, because if you tilt the 3DS, the 3D would be a problem.

You might like it, but I personally think it's a gimmick feature, and I hate it.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
@gilgamex,

Yes, no question there will be some great titles to hit the 3DS. And once the dev momentum gets going I think we will indeed see some pretty impressive graphics for the hardware.

That was more a tongue-in-cheek statement I was making. I really hate the 3D aspect of it, literally gives me a migraine headache in a few minutes. Also, I wouldn't buy this thing for my kids after knowing it could have negative effects on their eyes.

Just wish they would have ditched the 3D, but yeah, too late.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]once you see a game in 3d that was built for 3d, you wonder how you even played it before.[/citation]

Whoah, are you crazy? :) Seriously though, I HATE the 3D. You must be one of the rare few who can play the 3DS in 3D without getting a headache or eyestrain.

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I've been holding out for a 3DS XL but didn't think it would ever happen. I have a DSi XL and wouldn't want a handheld with a smaller screen. When Nintendo realized the 3DS console was selling poorly, they specifically said that there would be no revamped model. After they changed the DS so many times, people were (rightfully) assuming that a better 3DS would eventually come along. That (in small part) was hurting sales, so Nintendo basically said "oh no, there will be no other 3DS, so you might as well just buy one now". Yeah right. But if they are making an XL, I'm glad and will buy one. I don't like 3D and will probably always shut that feature off, but there are 3DS games that I want to play. The 3D makes my eyes/head feel weird. 3D glasses at a store display for a 3D TV does the same thing to me. Even when I focus my eyes just right, it looks fakey and gimicky. It doesn't look richly 3D. But like I said, I'm more interested in the games (two new Mario games, Luigi's Mansion 2, etc.). My fingers are crossed that it's coming out this soon.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
@Everyone

Yea my brother owns one and I played on it quite a bit and never had eye problems (resident evil, metal gear solid, zelda).

That would definetly be good for everybody though to be accomodated with a higher quality 3D screen and add that to the refresh along with an added joystick and screen enlargement. I think that's all you can really do for now until the parts get die shrinks n such so slimmer models will be released in the future. The update will be strong for 3DS if they do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS