Nintendo Sees Apple as the ''Enemy of the Future''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
While I am no fan of Nintendo, let me add that Apple is a company whose market share is fueled by propaganda and unconditional support by the US mainstream media. Apple thrives on the technological illiteracy of its largely gullible fan base, a people that happily trade freedom for an unfounded partial feeling of security, while at the same time proudly voicing their enslavement to the uber-con-artist Mr. Jobs, their iJesus.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]samdsox[/nom]wat? no highschool girl wanted a ds in the first place.[/citation]

The thing that you have to remember is that highschool girls here and much different than highschool girls in Japan.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
"Nintendo reportedly sees that its battle with Sony is won"
Hm, on what department/category? lol.

Nintendo's enemy is Nintendo.

HD netflix on wii? no
DVD on wii? no
Blu Ray on wii? no

New color? YES

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Yes, Mike, because 3 years later Sony and MS are finally putting the finishing touches on their versions of the the Wii.

Engineering isn't completely 'hardware' it's the bleeding edge of things. It's the bees knees. It's the jammer lammas. You can't just build something with awesome technical aspects and expect it to sell. You've got to fine tune it, beautify it, organize it, advertize it and sell it.

No, engineer builds something knowing that it will only 'function' and throws away the rest. At least no good engineer. Nintendo did its homework. Now you stop being a fanboy of everything that isn't popular. This isn't an emo forum.

"In accounting, "going concern" refers to a company's ability to continue functioning as a business entity (concern being an early-20th century term for "business" or "enterprise")."

You must have some funny idea of what going concern is. Nintendo functions fine. Their profitability IS sustainable. Stop looking at only the US profits and sales. You realize that last fiscal year was the first time their profits dropped in six years?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-20004295-235.html

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Uh... let's see a phone that plays games, or a mobile gaming device? Phone, please. And I'd probably prefer a PSP to a DS anyway.

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Also, the Wii sucks. I bought a grand total of 2 games for it. I got a PS3 slim when it launched and already have something like 10 or 12 awesome games on it.

Lastly, "consoles are for casual gamers, PCs for hardcore" is stupid crap, get over it. If you consider yourself "hardcore" you wouldn't limit yourself to one platform.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Toms Hardware is primarily for the hardcore so a lot of people are still confused on why the Wii is selling so well, sadly, the number of "dumb" people are seriously outnumbering the "hardcore" by probably ten to one.

For example, in our country, a national election is currently happening, and the guys who's currently in second place for presidency? He got jailed for corruption in 2001 (As president), he got pardoned in 2008. And he just run again in 2010. And he's in freaking second place! And why so?

Because he's a freaking old movie star from the 40's. See the almost absolute lapse of judgement? It's caused by the same "dumb" logic that is technically the same people buying Wii and it's games.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]If they genuinely see iPhone games as a serious threat that doesn't bode well for the qaulity of future nontwendo games.Nintendo: Drop this casual gamer / "brain training" / "petz" crap and get back to what made you great in the first place![/citation]
As a 34yo video gamer since the first day I could hold an atari 2600 controller, I can say that neither the iPhone, iPad, and especially the Wii have anything to offer that would hold my gaming interests, or my peers for that matter.
That said,
Why on earth would they stop doing what they are doing?
Unless they suddenly decide they don't want to be massively successful anymore.
The Wii isn't for me, but bashing it's gamer-base, games, play-style, and technical achievements (concerning video quality anyway) aside.
It was making money since day ONE. It takes a long time for hardware to make money.
Not to mention licensing.

As far as them "winning" the battle against Sony, that's a pretty loaded statement.
Sony wasn't trying for the same demographic as the Wii, that much is completely obvious. Sony and MS have the demographic they specifically targeted (me ;) and I'm willing to bet they are "winning" in that respect.
Also, consider the most successful platform ever, in terms of ownership and longevity, the Playstation 2.
Sony, not Nintendo made that.
Mind you, I don't own a Wii, but I like Nintendo, they are smart.
They hit a demographic that others forgot about, and targeted their price, and product accordingly, and hit a home run.
If I were Nintendo though, I don't know that I'd consider the iPhone, let alone iPad, a threat to your devices.
The iPhone can only play certain games in very certain ways and are thus heavily limited to due to interface, and, most importantly, Apple.
And finally, cost.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Nintendo's games suck, Apple's games suck. So I guess that levels the playing field.

Meanwhile PC gamers continue to get screwed.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Its funny how Nintendo doesnt even seem to notice the PS Move, being that the Move is what proves that Wii is lowend crap. The move is Motion sensing done right, nintendo should take cue in that hardware and consider sony an all new enemy.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I can understand Nintendo's point of view, just look at the pass few years and the games you can now play on your phone. We've gone from simple games to FPS/RTS and the like with higher graphics quality. In 3 years I can just imaging the games that will be available on the phones. Since Apple's iPhone is perhaps the most popular it would make sense to consider them an enemy of the future.

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]rajangel[/nom]Yes, Mike, because 3 years later Sony and MS are finally putting the finishing touches on their versions of the the Wii. Engineering isn't completely 'hardware' it's the bleeding edge of things. It's the bees knees. It's the jammer lammas. You can't just build something with awesome technical aspects and expect it to sell. You've got to fine tune it, beautify it, organize it, advertize it and sell it. No, engineer builds something knowing that it will only 'function' and throws away the rest. At least no good engineer. Nintendo did its homework. Now you stop being a fanboy of everything that isn't popular. This isn't an emo forum. "In accounting, "going concern" refers to a company's ability to continue functioning as a business entity (concern being an early-20th century term for "business" or "enterprise")."You must have some funny idea of what going concern is. Nintendo functions fine. Their profitability IS sustainable. Stop looking at only the US profits and sales. You realize that last fiscal year was the first time their profits dropped in six years? http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-20004295-235.html[/citation]
'Sustainable' based on what? Refreshed DS every 12 months? Better motion-sensing? Better games (wait, oops...)? Last time I checked, games are what makes game console companies 'sustainable'. Developers now work on Wii ports barely as an afterthought, because they want to be taken seriously by their audience. PS3 and 360 offer that. PC offers that. But not Wii.

And I'm not looking at just US sales. Their global profit plunged by almost twenty percent. This came at a time when consumers were spending more on games, and less on trips and vacations due to the recession. Sure, one quarter doesn't say much about a company's health, and some would attribute it to simply missing revenue guidance. But it highlights an issue that investors had been willing to overlook for a while - the interest in the Wii is simply dwindling. The Wii was a phenomenal success, but will it remain a phenomenal success? I don't believe it can, not without great support from third-party developers.

G

I understand what he is saying My son had his DS with him untill he got his Itouch the games are getting better the control is getting better an the games are free or a couple of bucks what else could he ask for. he is still looking for the 3d ds but he gets a new game to try every few days so its been hard for him to loose intrest

IAMCANADIAN

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I believe that the people that are bashing Nintendo now, myself included, are doing so because, like me, they grew up on Nintendo and feel betrayed and kicked aside. I supported Nintendo all the way from NES-GCN but when ended up selling my GCN for an inferior machine in the PS2 but was so much happier because SONY actually released more than 1-2 games a year and I had some choice of really good games (GOW,RE4,MGS2); The exact kind of games that my demographic (25-35) enjoys. I, like others my age, are absolutely baffled as to how Nintendo is still around; With Nintendo you get 1... maybe 2 decent 1st party games a year, and NO good 3rd party games because all of the developers that initially jumped on the Wii wagon are now realizing that most peoples Wii's are collecting dust beside the TV for lack of decent SW. Honestly is one Pokemon game not enough to make you wanna take a sledge hammer to your Wii. I've never understood the concept of party games or playing video games with the family; You want to play with the family, go to the park! Also, when did a console become a "casual" gamer device? A "casual" gamer is not a gamer at all because they don't play games enough to care if it's good or not. Nintendo isn't a video game company and that's why they consider Apple competition. Nintendo should leave NA and stay in Japan where people actually enjoy their simplistic games; Leave the "video games" to the hardcore gamers and companies (Sony,MS) that actually care about video games.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
What a fail, Apple is way more successful and smarter than anything Nintendo's got. Love or hate Apple, you can't deny they are doing well. Can't say the same for Nintendo, just more DS rehashes and a failing console.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]I read a while ago on an article here that one of the Executives has an iPhone.[/citation]

That's because the DSphone isn't out yet...

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
The most fun I've had with my Wii was when i sold it. Better make games were you can over lap other players....(Mario Kart for Wii sucked, due to some type of balancing system implemented) you can't overlap anybody.....what type of racing has a balance system for losers? Nintendo = no skill required to play. JMO

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]christopherknapp[/nom]The thing that you have to remember is that highschool girls here and much different than highschool girls in Japan.[/citation]

I live in the UK and loads of girls bought/buy pink Ds'

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]HavoCnMe[/nom]The most fun I've had with my Wii was when i sold it. Better make games were you can over lap other players....(Mario Kart for Wii sucked, due to some type of balancing system implemented) you can't overlap anybody.....what type of racing has a balance system for losers? Nintendo = no skill required to play. JMO[/citation]
Games haven't required skill to play since the move to 16 bit. Well, maybe a few 16 bit games were hard, but nothing compares to the hell that was dragon warrior 2, ninja gaiden, contra (without cheating), the real super mario 2 (not that doki doki crap), etc. The trope is named 'nintendo hard' for a reason.

And all the Wii haters can go on and on about the low level tech of the system but almost as many Wiis have been sold as PS3s and 360s combined, and there's been 2 DSes sold for every Wii sold. Calling it a failed console just because it doesn't have the HD features you want, is just silly, the sales figures disagree.

I, myself, don't have a Wii because it doesn't interest me, I have and love my 360. But, I can also see I'm not nintendo's target market. However, out of the 5 people in my lab with kids... they all have a Wii and love it. Yeah, they maybe play 5 hours a week at most, and frequently not at all, but they're the market Nintendo is going after, and there's more of them than 'hardcore gamers' like me.

Catering to the hardcore is just a waste of time and resources, they're always going to abandon you as soon as they can for the next greatest thing (just like the hardcore MMOers that beat the newly released content that took 6 months of development in a week or two of 24/7 playing - it's a waste of resources to cater to them too). They're going to complain about the smallest details endlessly (like the 360 vs PS3 screen shots showing slightly more jaggies on a background that goes by at 120 mph), yeah, you could fix the problem but odds are it's not worth the time. I've been convinced the focus has been too much on graphics and not enough on actual gameplay design. I, personally, have been very disappointed in the games churned out lately, sure the 6 legs are rendered beautifully on that gnat... but I'm sick of games lately that consist basically of 4.6 million shades of grey, brown and muzzle flash with 8-10 hours of gameplay, at least the games on my DS are colorful.

Honestly, Nintendo's target market has always been casual families and games for the 5-12 year old market, and I think they're right to focus on that and let MS and Sony fight over the 16-35 year olds. I also think they're correct in considering Apple the new enemy, Nintendo makes a fortune off the DS, and it's various incarnations, and the Apple/Android phones are now starting to emerge as definite gaming challengers to that market.

Status
Not open for further replies.