Nintendo Sees Apple as the ''Enemy of the Future''

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquila

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Still a good thing if this keeps Nintendo on their toes. Complacency can be a very dangerous state to be in...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Nintendo: Drop this casual gamer / "brain training" / "petz" crap and get back to what made you great in the first place![/citation]

Since Nintendo owned both PS3 and 360 in terms of sales, I'd say they should keep doing whatever they were doing. "Casual gamers" play on consoles, others play on the PC!

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Everyone seems to praise Nintendo for being original but how many of their games feature the same characters of Mario / Bowser / Princess etc...? It is one thing to have a console Mascot, it is quite another to water it down by putting it in every game. Anyway they will not be able to get away with non-HD graphics for 2 generations in a row. As for the handheld market, since when does a touchscreen iPhone etc... compete with a dedicated machine like the PSP / GBA?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
First call for help! this guy has lost his mind!

Nintendo Wii is the WORST console of this generation, it does not compete with Sony or even Microsoft.

And he thinks that his silly DS is competition for a PHONE? WTF!

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Since Nintendo owned both PS3 and 360 in terms of sales, I'd say they should keep doing whatever they were doing. "Casual gamers" play on consoles, others play on the PC![/citation]
Console sales, maybe, but I would like to see some numbers in terms of SOFTWARE sales. Software is what makes the big bucks. Nintendo lucked out because the Wii was cheap to make, and so they were able to profit from every system sale. But when I see my 12 year old brother and all his friends selling their Nintendo Wii for a PS3 or 360, it says something about the quality of their games. Shitty games means players won't stick around for long. Is Nintendo going to innovate as much this time as they did with the Wii? I highly doubt it. They better catch up with third-party development, fast.

As for apple as the 'Enemy of the Future'... and what, it's not the 'Enemy' now? :p

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
While I have no love for Apple, if Nintendo makes the apparent comparison between the iPhone and the DS, well that is where their problem lies. Not Apple but themselves. Let's see a DS vs. iPhone? Yeah I think, if those were my only options, I would take the iPhone as well. IF those were my only choices.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
So much for nintendo not considering them competition.

I read a while ago on an article here that one of the Executives has an iPhone.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]Nintendo lucked out because the Wii was cheap to make, and so they were able to profit from every system sale.[/citation]

Lucked out, are you serious? Some serious engineering and decision-making went into producing and marketing the Wii and (anecdotal evidence aside) the market has spoken: Nintendo made all the right moves this time out. You can't argue with their profits.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Nintendo caught the last wave of a gaming generation and rode it well. Bottom line is their Wii is pretty much a dinosaur set to consumers house to be put out to pasture. 360/PS3 game sales are kicking Nintendo's ass, and to sum it all up: They realize this. Being as a phone is now their competition, I'd say they realize they're on the bottom of the gaming totem pole and are going to make the best of it.

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Lucked out, are you serious? Some serious engineering and decision-making went into producing and marketing the Wii and (anecdotal evidence aside) the market has spoken: Nintendo made all the right moves this time out. You can't argue with their profits.[/citation]
Serious engineering my ass. They stuffed an overclocked Gamecube into a Wii shell, bundled an infrared sensor bar (which isn't even built-in to the system itself, by the way), and gave us a remote as a controller.

Serious engineering? Please.

And I can argue with their profits. In accounting, we have a term called 'going concern'. I would not drop money on Nintendo right now because their profitability is not sustainable when there's an exodus of high-value gamers (read: hardcore) from their platform. These are the people who buy tons of games and keeps the money flowing in. Not the ones who leave their system collecting dust behind the TV stand.

Quit fanboying and learn to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.