Nintendo Sees Apple as the ''Enemy of the Future''

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Apple is the enemy of Nintendo. We can all ridicule the iPhone as a "gaming device" but at the end of the day it still has an App Store chock full of games. The problem with the DS is that the only thing it does is games. If I carry around an iPhone I can get a lower quality gaming experience but it is the only device I need. I can do almost anything on the go that I would need to with the iPhone. If I own a DS I need another device to keep me connected and that is where the iPhone has an advantage. I'll buy an iPhone for all of the other features but I'll still play games. I won't buy a DS because games are the only thing you can do.

DS Phone maybe? I don't see it happening but it sure would be funny.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]Serious engineering my ass. They stuffed an overclocked Gamecube into a Wii shell, bundled an infrared sensor bar (which isn't even built-in to the system itself, by the way), and gave us a remote as a controller.[/citation]

The puny "overclocked Gamecube" owned PS3 and 360 for the past three years. It may have inferior hardware but its job wasn't to impress the nerds but to sell better than the competition and it did just that.

[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]I would not drop money on Nintendo right now because their profitability is not sustainable when there's an exodus of high-value gamers (read: hardcore) from their platform.[/citation]

The Wii is doing its job. It's not targeted at hard core gamers but at the casual crowd. Do you really think Nintendo wasn't able to put forward a platform as powerful as PS3 and 360? They decided they could go for what you call an "overclocked Gamecube" and it turned out to be the right decision. They out-sold both PS3 and 360 at almost 2:1, neatly sidestepping the competition in the hard core nerd market and unlike Sony and Microsoft actually making money on every unit sold. That's good engineering and good business sense.

As for fanboyism, the last console I owned was a Sega Megadrive in 1992. I'm just a fan of smart business. My friends buy the consoles, I find them all equally laughable as gaming platforms.

dizzycriminal

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Last year I said either Nvidia or Apple were going to make a big step into the gaming market based on the tech I saw them bringing out. I think Nintendo are an extremly clever company, this is their way of preparing for what ever move Apple has been working towards for years now.

G

Nintendo- here's how you destroy apples hopes and dreams:

Include a mirror app. This will allow 100% of the female demographic to want to use it as a compact mirror.

Include a make up game. This will feature makeup tutorials for 100% of the female demographic.

Include a cellular phone with applications and features similar to the iphone, but based more on Nintendo's cues. This is a no brainer.

Include a functional PDA-style interface. Business folk will find the planner and scheduling rather convenient in a compact, notebook-like design.

Touch screens on both screens. Keep the stylus- this will appeal to the entire korean demographic that have been using a hot dog as a stylus.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]samdsox[/nom]wat? no highschool girl wanted a ds in the first place.[/citation]
You live in the wrong continent. In some continents, girls can be like the rest of us. Geeky. My fiancé is a Computer Engineer, and she's hot. And Thai. While American girls are stuck up b*tches, or just plain fat if they're a geek. Sad eh?

Silly Americans.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]While I am no fan of Nintendo, let me add that Apple is a company whose market share is fueled by propaganda and unconditional support by the US mainstream media. Apple thrives on the technological illiteracy of its largely gullible fan base, a people that happily trade freedom for an unfounded partial feeling of security, while at the same time proudly voicing their enslavement to the uber-con-artist Mr. Jobs, their iJesus.[/citation]

the best comment i have read on tom's

pyroghozt

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]You live in the wrong continent. In some continents, girls can be like the rest of us. Geeky. My fiancé is a Computer Engineer, and she's hot. And Thai. While American girls are stuck up b*tches, or just plain fat if they're a geek. Sad eh?Silly Americans.[/citation]

lol i heart this post ^^ Silly yanks are silly.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Calling it a failed console just because it doesn't have the HD features you want, is just... Catering to the hardcore is just a waste of time and resources, they're always going to abandon you as soon as they can for the next greatest thing (just like the hardcore MMOers that beat the newly released content that took 6 months of development in a week or two of 24/7 playing - it's a waste of resources to cater to them too). They're going to complain about the smallest details endlessly (like the 360 vs PS3 screen shots showing slightly more jaggies on a background that goes by at 120 mph), yeah, you could fix the problem but odds are it's not worth the time. I've been convinced the focus has been too much on graphics and not enough on actual gameplay design. I, personally, have been very disappointed in the games churned out lately, sure the 6 legs are rendered beautifully on that gnat... but I'm sick of games lately that consist basically of 4.6 million shades of grey, brown and muzzle flash with 8-10 hours of gameplay, at least the games on my DS are colorful. Honestly, Nintendo's target market has always been casual families and games for the 5-12 year old market, and I think they're right to focus on that and let MS and Sony fight over the 16-35 year olds. I also think they're correct in considering Apple the new enemy, Nintendo makes a fortune off the DS, and it's various incarnations, and the Apple/Android phones are now starting to emerge as definite gaming challengers to that market.[/citation]

A waste of time? Ahem... a waste of time? These are the people that shelled out $500 for a console when it was 'new', the Wii however was $250 The Wii outsold them 2 to 1, the Wii owner brings back a Wii, a bare Wii for christmas day. Day after, buys a second if not a third and fourth controller. That's another $100 if they buy the generic controllers, $200 if they bought Nintendo brand.

Meanwhile the 360 or PS3 owner bought 3-5 games at $60 a pop for their system. (Recouping the proffit loss on manufacture) The Wii, no games....

6 months later, Wii owner buys one game, more than likely a budget title of $20 because a $40 new game is just "too expensive"

360 owner buys 2 more titles, PS3 owner the same. Both at full price of $60

A year later the 360 and PS3 owner buy the refreshes of Madden at $60 a piece, COD4 at $60, and the 360 owner also buys Forza.

The Wii owner considers Zelda, dismisses it because it's "too violent for my 12 year old"

Year two 360 and PS3 owner trade out games they've gotten tired of and spend, $60, on another new title, and $60 again on another new title that they pay for fully.

Wii owner? Well nothing really good came out, *spends $20 on another budget title, and $50 on a aftermarket.

As it sets even though the Wii console outsold the Competition, the competition sold WAY more titles. Therefore any company that's been in the game for more than a decade has PROBABLY jumped ship on the big red N as for deving new games for them, at all.

Your saying that the hardcore gamer is a waste becuase they get tired of games. Well DUH! That's what the Devs want, to be able to charge $60, not $40 (Wii games are cheaper, get over it) and have a person like playing the game for a few months, then buy a new one. If you wanna talk about sales, the 360 and PS3 have raped the Wii with tabasco sauce for years now. Nintendo's fine with that, they have sold plenty of Wii's and that's where they've made their money, on selling consoles, not royalties off devs. But that's also a double edged sword, I've seen more Wii's for sale used lately to the point of working where I do, there is no demand for a Wii at all, just the 3rd party accessories, and the occasional game for them. But only if it's $19 dollars or less.

Now Apple, they've got this whole "WE HAVE ONE MILLION GAMES TO DOWNLOAD!" Thing going on and yea, Nintendo is seeing their slice of the pie getting much smaller because of it in the future. If they want to keep their part of the market they need to stop with the idea that a extra large version of their system is going to help with sales. (Though my 70 yr old mother sure as hell appreciates the larger screen)

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Having a Nintendo was the most harcore shit back when i was growing up. Now people are like......"You're joking...You have a Wii?"

=/ Cmon what happened to the awesomeness of the N.

jesseralston

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]You live in the wrong continent. In some continents, girls can be like the rest of us. Geeky. My fiancé is a Computer Engineer, and she's hot. And Thai. While American girls are stuck up b*tches, or just plain fat if they're a geek. Sad eh?Silly Americans.[/citation]

What is this? Generalizations ftw day?? You judge somebody for making a broad (and naive) generalization and then go on to make (atleast, depending on wording) two more of your own?

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]"Nintendo reportedly sees that its battle with Sony is won"Hm, on what department/category? lol.Nintendo's enemy is Nintendo.HD netflix on wii? noDVD on wii? noBlu Ray on wii? noNew color? YES[/citation]

+1

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
"Enemy"? Is this sensationalism again or is this Japanese competitive thought? Someone means "competition". The real enemy is the poor choice in wording by someone.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007

Apparently you've never been to America.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]pyroghozt[/nom]lol i heart this post ^^ Silly yanks are silly.[/citation]

Why are you on an American website then? Silly American haters are ignorant.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Jonnydough[/nom]Apparently you've never been to America.[/citation]

...and may I suggest Spring Break somewhere off the coast of Florida?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]cj_online[/nom]Screw Nintendo.... Sony and Microsoft FTW... heck I'd even opt for Apple instead of these morons.[/citation]

Oh yes, they're such morons...that's why with pretty ancient base hardware they're able to capture a gigantic portion of the gaming market and rake in a ton of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.