Nintendo Wii Becomes Fastest Selling Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
good console for family users. pretty obvious reason as to y it sells so well. but i'll stick with my up to date graphics and games with my xbox and PC. *crap, i bought a wii too..*

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
There's a good reason it sold so well. Nintendo really hit a winner with this one. Their first party stuff is quite brilliant.

Kinda sucks to have 'Wii Play' up there on the charts, as it was pretty much bundled with a controller. It was ~$10 more to get it when you were purchasing a controller. A lot of people can't give 'Wii Play' away these days.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I got a wii last year to get my nintendo franchise fix as they have never disappointed :) Good to see such a great console breaking these milestones. Nintendo are good guys, what can i say

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
the actual Nintendo games are amazing, retro studios makes games at least on par with halo, but lately a lot of what I'm seeing for the Wii is shovelware, "Imagine babyz" "chicken shoot" its a great system and the controls are amazing but many of the games seem lacking.

darthvidor

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I'm surprised to see NSMB at #4 .... thought it hit #1 .. that's one game that made some (who sold their wii's) buy a new wii.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
oh god lets hope the next gen of consoles doesnt do the same thing that the wii did and rebox last gens hardware and call it NEW. Or We'll be stuck with 7800gt level graphics again.

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
i camped a target in chicago, il for ours. my wife and i both wanted one. i was number 6 of 12.

i credit the wii fit for helping me lose 70 pounds and keeping it off for the last 2-3 years now. i dont do it every day but i try to weigh in and do silly ones like hula and their mock taebo.

otherwise we dont own a billion games on our system, alot of them are pretty child oriented but we have the main titles like the galaxy 1/2, mario party and kart.

ill hand it to nintendo for doing something different and innovative. but who cant admire things they try like gameboy and virtual boy. in some ways the wii could be better but im sure nintendo has something better in store for next gen.

michaelssw

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
sweet, 30 millions Wiis collecting dust

Not even really trying to be funny, a lot of the houses I've been to the Wii is somewhat near the TV but not connected with an xbox or PS3 (sometimes both) right slab dab in the middle of the room either being played, just been played, or about to be played.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The only reason this sold as many units as it did was the price point of $249.00, the economy stunk and the price was right for all the poor folks. It has crappy graphic's and the wii remote is not that responsive. I am glad i left this alone, my PS3 is a decade ahead of this piece of junk.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Interesting to see people's experiences. Out of the 3 consoles,
the Wii I play the most, whereas the PS3 I turn on every now and then. And the 360? I packed it up a year or so ago because it was just taking up space. It's in a cupboard somewhere.

Guess that all depends on your gaming tastes.

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
It is never the design intent for consoles to have the latest hardware...companies need to anticipate a long product lifecycle even as computation potential doubles every 2 years.

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
The PS2 has the record for fastest 100 million units in 5 years 9 months. Once the Wii breaks that record (and looks to be on track to do so) you can color me impressed.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I don't mean to bring Apple bashing into articles not about Apple, but when Apple succeeds I always sigh internally and question the buying habits of my fellow consumer. I also shudder to think that other companies will follow their example. I've had the same thoughts about Nintendo since the releases of the Wii and, to a lesser extent, the DS. Both are woefully underpowered and the Wii's control system was not refined enough to hit mass market. Say Sony is ripping them off if you want, but the Move actually works, and is only secondary to a dual analog controller, as it should be. That many people's only gaming experience is with garbage games on the gimmicky Wii is a real shame because they really are missing out. This piece of junk outsells the PS3. Good grief, Charlie Brown.

G

in all reality all three systems are junk. the best games are playable for about 20 hours then oh you beat it wait 3 years for the story to continue. atleast with the wii you only spend 20 dollars on a game you wont play after a few days. im so tired of hearing about graphics in games. buy a pc if that matters. its about playability and long term investment anymore. majority of wii games are more like mini game compilations that take a while to play all of them. if you dont like one you move to the next. wait and see how many companies release "high def carnival games" on your precious ps3. microsoft is smart in the fact it comes right out and says hey here is your wii alternative with childrens games right off the bat. though they will more than likely bring out big shooters for it later. sony is yet again marketing all wrong and at price that just causes gasps and eye rolls from people who just want to waste a little time now and again. hardcore gamers dont pay the bills. how long have you been playing the same copy of modern warfare 2? did you even know about goldeneye?

jamie_macdonald

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
lmao @ all the up their own ass comments above saying how poor it is etc ... do these guys remember tetris and the original mario ....the point is in the simplicity of the games you numbskulls.

I have a nice PC too and i love using it for good graphics and main gaming ... but i'm not dim enough to insult the pleasures of simple switch off gaming (except zelda, some of the puzzles are actually pretty cool)... Let's face it it's a different market and comparing a ps3 to a wii in features is like comparing a shark to an elephant .. they jsut are different animals eh?

I await the next Zelda myself then i will get my 3rd wii (i gave the other two away as i only play certain nintendo games hehe) ...I love it regardless or its inferior graphics etc ... it's like a little "life in a bottle" to me :)

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Even though I am a PC gamer I also have a Wii that I bought for the missus
I turned my nose up at it at first, but after playing Lego Star Wars on the big-ass TV I have to admit I like it.
OK, it's not a hardcore game, and fair play if I want play hardcore games I will use the PC and not another console because for me all consoles are for casual gamers.

But the Wii is my guilty pleasure, as is hacking JarJar Binks to bits with a lightsaber.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Nintendo Wii Becomes Fastest Selling Console
I'm just being picky - unless there's been a sudden massive surge in popularity in the near past, is it not more the case that the Wii was the fastest selling console and they've released some figures to show that?
A year ago, the average sales rate for the Wii was probably higher (I'm guessing) so the Wii would have been the fastest selling console then too wouldn't it? I don't question the fact it's sold faster than the others, just that it has "become" that at some point more than a month after launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.