no audio output

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mr302lx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
I recently purchased a Toshiba 50", and found out it had no audio outputs. I have an older surround system that only accepts RCA cable. I seen that you can get a 4x1 splitter that has only one RCA. My question is do I just get a RCA cable that goes from one ended to two so I can hook both red/white audio cable up? Excuse my technical ignorance!

Solution
that hdmi switch is the same one still sold by monoprice here
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6259&seq=1&format=3
Inputs/Outputs: (4) HDMI® inputs - (1) HDMI® output

the box is a hdmi switch and only has 4 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi output.

not sure what you mean about one rca style output. if it is just 1 (one) single plug not colored white or black then it is most likely a spdif coax connection which has rca type ends but a coax wire. typically they are colored orange but i've seen them yellow and black as well. coax is digital, rca is analog. you would be talking about a fancy $50 conversion box which will not give you surround sound (since rca only can carry stereo). a y cable will do...

mr302lx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Yes they all fire, and my sub/amp only has RCA hook ups. I'm going to try the HDMI switch/jack to RCA cord just to get Superbowl sound, after realizing my system isn't the greatest I will probably upgrade to a receiver style stereo. With all the inputs I need. Thanks for all the advice I will post reply after my trip to Wally world.