No bootable device -- please restart system

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuser87

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
i tried today to install the new ubuntu, but the installation went wrong and i had to turn off the laptop manually.
when i turned it on afterwards, i got this message "No bootable device -- please restart system"
i tried to press all the buttons, but nothing works. i trie to connect bootable usb's of ubuntu and rufus - but with no success.
i have a problem similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l233SoUTz0U
but in my case the toshiba logo is not showing on.
before that happend i had dual boot, and if i chose ubuntu the logo would not show up as well.
i think bios the is deleted. is there any way to recover the laptop?
thanks for helping

Solution
Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First, do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If it will give you the same error and if you're also using a Toshiba laptop, press and hold the F2 button then turn the laptop on and it should load into BIOS.
- If it will still not load BIOS you'll need to open the laptop and remove the CMOS battery for a second then put it back in to reset BIOS to its default. (make sure that the laptop is OFF and the battery and AC adapter is off)
- If this step will still not work, remove the HDD off the laptop and install it onto a different laptop or PC and try installing Windows.
- Once...
Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First, do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If it will give you the same error and if you're also using a Toshiba laptop, press and hold the F2 button then turn the laptop on and it should load into BIOS.
- If it will still not load BIOS you'll need to open the laptop and remove the CMOS battery for a second then put it back in to reset BIOS to its default. (make sure that the laptop is OFF and the battery and AC adapter is off)
- If this step will still not work, remove the HDD off the laptop and install it onto a different laptop or PC and try installing Windows.
- Once you've installed Windows, install it back to the laptop having problem booting up then see if it will load Windows or not.

Hopefully these steps will work. :)

Solution

tuser87

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

thanks man, you just saved my laptop!
the first one worked for me, i just had to press F2 before turning on the laptop,
unlike what the video showed.
after I entered BIOS, the first boot option was USB, but it did not boot from there.
so I went to the EXIT menu and chose something like "load defaults" which made the first boot device to be the HDD. after restarting the laptop, it booted using usb and i was able to install an os.

Aiden_14

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

Ok so i did this but now it says preparing automatic repair and just goes to a black screen

sdimp

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
Thank you very much @Laptop_Nerd, you don't have any idea how thankful I am for sharing these steps!! I love you!!!! Waaaaa!! I'm so glad I found this or else I'll have to spend a lot of money!!!! Thank youuuuuu!!!

triciaok49

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018

triciaok49

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
I looked at the underneath of cd tray there is a tear in the what looks like a film strip ie negative as u would get from a camera so at least I now know the fault so check the under carriage of the tray

Jul 17, 2020
@Laptop_Nerd thank you a lot, you've just saved my work laptop. I've made some changes in BIOS and the laptop stopped booting with the error, and I managed to start with BIOS and revert that only with help of your trick with pressing F2 before powering it on. You're just a god

P.S.: my laptop isn't Toshiba but Lenovo, however it helped

Status
Not open for further replies.