No bootable devices message

dfergy50

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017
Hi. I've changed my hard drive on my Dell All In One so need to install Win10. Neither my DVD or USB devices are recognized and I have the OS on both media options that I downloaded from Dells website. I've gone in to Bios and was able to set the USB as #1 boot and it looked like it was trying to boot from it (USB was showing a steady light like it was being read). Shortly afterward the screen came up with the message No bootable devices. So they are clearly not enabled somehow yet show up in test and tested out fine. This machine is 2 yrs old and the hard drive it came with died requiring this change out. Any suggestions?

Solution
well if you have windows 10 on there there should be no problem with installing windows 10 straight from microsoft your key is on a separate partition so re-install from microsoft.

RARRAF

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
well normally you have the HDD as the first boot option and if you have a bootable usb in there when booting for the first time you hammer any key on the keyboard and it should boot from usb. note I do not no anything about Dell

dfergy50

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017

dfergy50

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017
Thank you. I did end up going in and enabling Legacy which allowed me to select the USB and the CD rom I have the OS on. However, it goes only so far and then is looking to reimage the machine. I did have the back up CDs for that but it said there was no hardware info on any of the files I tried to open for it. I've done hard drive swaps before because of dead ones and never had this much trouble. Thanks for your help.

RARRAF

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
well if you have windows 10 on there there should be no problem with installing windows 10 straight from microsoft your key is on a separate partition so re-install from microsoft.

Solution