No low frequencies in new studio monitors

iSpiritus

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
I purchased a new set of JBL lsr308 speakers for my music producing. When I plugged them in no matter what I did I cannot get any frequencies below 100hz, they are good down to 37hz. The only things I can conclude is that the monitors are broken in some way or my setup is wrong. I am using a 1/4" to 3.5mm converter and 3.5mm cable that runs into the back of my motherboard. I have tested this with other speakers and they work just fine. I have also tested the new ones in my laptop and the same problem occurs. I have never had studio quality monitors before so I'm not sure if I need a higher quality sound card to use them. I still get sound out of them but anything below 100hz doesn't exist. My assumption is that the amp or speakers are dead. I have also made sure that I have the most current audio drivers for my pc as well. Any advice?

Solution
The chances of getting both speakers not working is going to be remote, as you know they are sold as a single unit, it's retailers that pair them up.
You've got me scratching my head, because wires are wires, they just pass on an analog signal, they don't inherently have any frequency filtering going on.

I have the JBL lsr305's, hooked up to http://www.swamp.net.au/mini-jack-to-dual-1-4-mixer-to-pc-audio-cable.html., to the 3.5mm on my s oundcard.
I have the speaker volumes set to 100%. I regulate the volume through my computer.
Input sensitivity -10, LF and HF trim at 0.

As you've tried the speakers on a pc as well as a laptop, it just seems really freaky that both speakers are not going lower than 100Hz.

Ruggo181

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
The chances of getting both speakers not working is going to be remote, as you know they are sold as a single unit, it's retailers that pair them up.
You've got me scratching my head, because wires are wires, they just pass on an analog signal, they don't inherently have any frequency filtering going on.

I have the JBL lsr305's, hooked up to http://www.swamp.net.au/mini-jack-to-dual-1-4-mixer-to-pc-audio-cable.html., to the 3.5mm on my s oundcard.
I have the speaker volumes set to 100%. I regulate the volume through my computer.
Input sensitivity -10, LF and HF trim at 0.

As you've tried the speakers on a pc as well as a laptop, it just seems really freaky that both speakers are not going lower than 100Hz.

Solution