No Operating System

fds425

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I have a new Nikon D300 that I purchased just recently. The seller said it was not gray market and has USA warantee. He called it a production camera. It does not have an operating system installed.
Can I install the operating system? What do I do regarding formatting the flash card.
Help!

Frank
breezy214@charter.net

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
What does it do when you turn it on? You should see at SETUP MENU system that'll allow you to format the card. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD300/page12.asp

If you don't see any of that menu then you're new aquired camera may be broken. I just hope I'm wrong about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated:

Check your firmware if it's recent like the one here: http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13783

fds425

Distinguished
May 24, 2009

The camera is in transit. I wanted to know the procedure before I mess things up. I haven't purchased the batteries yet! As soon as I do I will let you know. I did go to the Nikon website and I should be able to download the OP from them but it isn't allways as it seems. Thats why I wanted to ask the experts here.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
When you said OPERATING SYSTEM, you mean no sofware/disc that suppose to come with the camera?

If that the case, Nikon usually sale their photo editing software separately, unlike canon; it includes it. You might need to purchased it from Nikon or photography store or just use Adobe Photoshop if you have one, I believe the softwares that can be downloaded from nikon requires full install from the CD. Things that you might be able to download from nikon without the CD are Utility Tools, RAW conversion, Printer tools and drivers.

fds425

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I'm not talking about photoshop or similar. I am actually talking about the guts of the camera. The operating system that makes the camera function.
Thanks

Frank

fds425

Distinguished
May 24, 2009

I'm not talking about photoshop or similar. I am actually talking about the guts of the camera. The operating system that makes the camera function.
Thanks

Frank

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Then this go back to my first post.

The camera (Nikon D300) does not require a CD to function by it self, it does need the battery, lens and flash card. It has its own operating sofware built-in and you can reformat a its flash card. NO CD REQUIRED.

If the seller thells you that you need the CD to get the camera workink then I suggest you call Nikon and make sure of it.

The utility disc will only help you to connect to computer easily. You'll know when you'll recieve your camera.

fds425

Distinguished
May 24, 2009

BIG THANKS!!

TRENDING THREADS