No option to move apps, Huawei ascend xt

mrsgivens76

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
I have a Huawei ascend xt. There is no option to move apps to sd card. I have downloaded several apps to move them but no luck. Please help it's driving me crazy

Solution
Well that device should be running Android "Marshmallow" so the OS allows the change, but that doesn't mean that the manufacturer didn't restrict the option. Below are the instructions on how to turn a SD card into "Internal" storage rather than the standard "External" storage. If you can do this on the device, then you can run apps from the card. If the manufacturer has made it so you can't, then you can't run apps off your SD card. In such a case the only way to really free up space on the device would be to move the photos, music, videos, etc., which can be moved, over to the card.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because...
Well that device should be running Android "Marshmallow" so the OS allows the change, but that doesn't mean that the manufacturer didn't restrict the option. Below are the instructions on how to turn a SD card into "Internal" storage rather than the standard "External" storage. If you can do this on the device, then you can run apps from the card. If the manufacturer has made it so you can't, then you can't run apps off your SD card. In such a case the only way to really free up space on the device would be to move the photos, music, videos, etc., which can be moved, over to the card.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution

Abstoab

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
This doesn't work as on my phone there is no three dot menu on the SD card or further settings available for it. I'm using the correct phone and the correct operating system, Marshmallow, and none of these things are available to me. All you can do with the SD card is to eject it or format it and I have formatted it multiple times and still no extra settings have become available to me. The SD card was blank to start with. When formatting the card "format as internal" is not an option. I have set the SD card to act as the default storage but still basically nothing is saved there, only a few small system files. Everything including videos and photos is saved to the internal storage and there is no way to change them to save to the SD card. I have looked everywhere for a solution to this but it seems like everyone else is using a phone that has a different setup than me and I don't see how that could be.

Nobelz

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
I know that I am 3 months late, but I think I have found the answer to the problem. I have the same phone as you do, and had the same problems. Before attempting these steps, you may want to back up your files. Just follow these steps:

1. Download ES File Explorer on Google Play.

2. Open it and click the 3 lines in the top left corner. Then click Settings.

3. Go to Directory Settings. In Home Directory, set it to "/".

4. Format the SD Card from the built-in Settings App.

5. Reboot the Phone.

6. Open ES File Manager. There should be to boxes at the top with "Internal Storage" and "SD Card." Click on "SD Card."

7. Take note of the path of the SD Card. Ex. Mine is /storage/451C-1815.

8. Go to Internal Storage and select the files you want to move. Most apps can be found in the "Android/data" folder.

9. Click "more" in the bottom right corner and then click "Move To"

10. Go to the path specified in #7 and click OK.

11. The moving process should start. Once it finishes, if you go to Settings > Storage, you should see storage freed up in the internal storage.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, let me know!

Abstoab

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017

Thanks! This works! You're a lifesaver.

Valdas_2

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

1. Settings >
2. Memmory & storage >
3. At line with name > Storage settings  you see Default location?... ;)  what you see? Internal probably... Tap on it and selection window should  open.. ? >
4. Mark at SD card.

And that should be it.

Try it.

shandan.cruce

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
Noblez, when ever I go onto the app it says no SD card found so I went to the directly setting and I tried to make a file for it and it said failed to do make file, what do I do?

kps619

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017

Does this method allow me to retain the content that I've previously saved to the SD card? Thanks!

TeeShark

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015

NO! It will wipe your SD Card and reformat it. You need to backup the files on the SD card before proceeding. You can use a laptop, desktop, any device that can read the SD card or simply backup the files to google drive/other cloud service. Good Luck!

Aug 25, 2018

On number 3 what do u mean set it to"/"?