No rear sound

Stuart_17

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
I have Altect Lansing 995 surround speakers, bought a Dell Inspiron 3650 with onboard sound card, updated drivers as required and set all settings to 5.1. Can get sound from all speakers on test but not on play back, had Dell techs on the case and reset all jacks ect but still no good, any help would be appreciated.

Solution
if the speaker test works fine and each speaker plays when it should then its likely your media content or media player settings.

windows sounds, most music, most youtube, most online video streaming services and some foreign movies are only stereo sound. have you tried testing with a known 5.1 sound source? (like a movie dvd known to be 5.1)

sometimes in poorly implemented games or media players might have a setting separate from windows for audio you may need to check if it is 5.1 or not though in most cases it should automatically see your windows settings and use them.
if the speaker test works fine and each speaker plays when it should then its likely your media content or media player settings.

windows sounds, most music, most youtube, most online video streaming services and some foreign movies are only stereo sound. have you tried testing with a known 5.1 sound source? (like a movie dvd known to be 5.1)

sometimes in poorly implemented games or media players might have a setting separate from windows for audio you may need to check if it is 5.1 or not though in most cases it should automatically see your windows settings and use them.

Solution

Stuart_17

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Thanks for the info, I have tried a DVD that is THX and still the same, Dell have contacted me aging and say is a compatibility issue with my speakers which seems strange being as they work on test.

compatibility issues? sounds like hogwash to me. any 3 x 3.5mm speakers will work as your soundcard doesnt care what is connected to those ports. if you get 5.1 during speaker test its fine.

sounds to me like either like borked drivers resulting in problems or bad settings in your playback programs.

one thing to note.. there are often two 5.1 options listed (one for surround speakers one for rear speakers) make sure you pick the right one (try swapping between them).

TRENDING THREADS