markmark0858

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hi,
I've just bought a Panasonic SC-BTT 590 home theatre system to hook up with my new LG 42lw550T HDTV. I can't get any sound from the TV using the HDMI [ARC] terminals. I've tried changing the cable and have even swapped the amplifier unit so they are not faulty. The TV is on ARC mode.
I've now tried an optical cable which works but the sound is really puny compared to e.g. the DVD or tuner sounds[is this normal]. Also there is no sound coming from the central speaker with the TV or tuner, although the speaker works with the speaker test.
[By the way the iPod doesn't work either-I'm getting not supported on the display!]
could the TV be Faulty? Am I missing something. Has anyone any ideas?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

The Panasonic may not work with ARC, do you know if the HDMI ports are 1.4 on the system? The optical cable sound should not be any less than the other levels, you may not get any sound from the center speaker if the audio source is not setup with that channel info. Center speaker is pretty much only used for dialog, if there is not separate mix for it, the speaker won't do anything. Try different surround modes on the receiver, see if one of them will get sound from all the speakers.

markmark0858

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
the center speaker sound problem has been resolved by enabling the setting 'super surround'. Would a better quality [more expensive] optical cable make a difference do you think. Thanks

Digital and optical cables should make no difference in quality between a cheap and expensive set. It's digital. Either the 1s and 0s get there or they don't. The only time you would want to look at expensive stuff for a digital connection is if you are running a long cable or you have some interference and need better shielding. If you are trying to get this to fix the no sound through ARC, won't help you, it's pretty sure that your Panasonic does not support ARC.