Nokia Killing Off N-Gage, Ovi Store to Replace It

Status
Not open for further replies.

peanutsrevenge

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]yawnwhat gage? I thought this thing failed 4 years ago...[/citation]

Indeed.
I remember when it came out. Cool idea, but too big for a small screen.
If they stopped selling it a few years ago, fair play to Nokia for supporting it this long.

G

N-gage, never saw a real one in my entire life.
I thought it was only a gadget for the freaks, but even the freaks took their PSP with them instead of this!

I found it was just a plain ugly looking device, and it's death was pronounced the moment it was released!

I was just surprised that the device actually still existed!
It's window of sales was probably 2 to 3 months (unlike eg: the first gen gameboy, which sold strong for about 10 years, and lasted 15 years or so..).

victusaldel

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
It wasn't just a physical device any longer. It was primarily a software platform for their phones, from what I understand.

So, stopping support doesn't make sense, unless they're just trying to get away from the n-gage name that people are so quick to mock.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
wow I didn't think anything related to this thing even existed anymore. last time I remember seeing one was probably 4 years ago at least and even then it was a rare beast. Not that it was anything great back then lol

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]yawnwhat gage? I thought this thing failed 4 years ago...[/citation]

Seriously, I don't think I've even heard it mentioned in YEEEEARS

[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]N-gage, never saw a real one in my entire life.[/citation]

haha yeah it never did get that popular. I've only seen 1 in my entire life, back when it first came out, somebody at my school had one

nonameno12

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I loved my N-gage, kept going for 3 years till i physically broke the screen. I hoped I'd be able to move my games to my Nokia 5630 but no such luck. Anyway, it was worth a try

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I remember thinking the device was a really good idea when it first came out. I wanted one :) Still not a bad idea, if it could really keep up with dedicated handheld gaming machines such as psp and ds. There are some great games for current non n-gage Nokias, so it makes sense for them to merge their software and get rid of the somewhat shameful n-gage name.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

yes , it was game over ! from the beginning .

PodSix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Wait, I'm sorry, what? This thing is still around? Damn, can't say Nokia didn't try... and try... and try.

Sardaukarz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Weird how so many of u emit opinions on something they never saw and tried. But hey, we do live in a free country...

BTW, all the top of the line cell phones from Nokia support the NGage as a gaming platform and even if the games where pretty simple and not too complex they were fun.

vonarx

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I worked at gamestop for a few years ago and managed to pick up an N-Gage for free when nokia phased out the floor models.

Needless to say its been dead for years.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Yeah, nice try nokia.
It would take nintendo or sony to make nice portable gaming phone.
I would like to see a ZuneHD cell phone with games on it... BUT... I don't think it would have as many games as it would if it was made by nintendo... they are the kings of portable gaming.

skalagon

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
My cousin got one and then sold it about a month after because he was tired of holding a taco up to his face everytime he made a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.