Nokia Shoots PureView Promo with Phone's 41-MP Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
41 MP ?
My old sony phone was 12MP camera , more than any phone out there ...
But it was like a 5MP and other phones with lower MP was better ...

I hope its not the same as this... this was the weirdest thing i ever seen in cameras since im not an expert..

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
41MP LOL
The day that I want to upgrade my camera, it would be with another DLSR, not some funny Phone pretending to be a camera.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
you know what depresses me.

smart phones.
specifically their cameras.

they are getting good, and are probably better than my parents old cybershot 3mp, and defiantly at least have better video than their newer cybershot 8mp

and these cameras are only 10-20$ at most...

yet i want to buy a stand alone digital camera, i have to look at the 2-300$ range just to compete with a smartphone...

hell i have a 100$ webcam that cant do better than many old cellphone cameras.

byous88

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
specifically their cameras.
g.gif

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Should allow for some descent digital zoom, no more blurry-stretched digital zoom![/citation]
There is no such thing as "decent digital zoom" it's the same as making a photo larger using photoshop, it will look like ass. Optical zoom is the only way to keep the resolution

G

High resolution means nothing if they don't have the features of the standalone cameras. The biggest of which is Optical zoom. Even the iphone can't do that without a third-party "add-on."

Next, you have actual, GOOD, image stabilization. Camera phones are a huge "stand perfectly still or the picture is ruined."

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bigg_cheese[/nom]High resolution means nothing if they don't have the features of the standalone cameras. The biggest of which is Optical zoom. Even the iphone can't do that without a third-party "add-on." Next, you have actual, GOOD, image stabilization. Camera phones are a huge "stand perfectly still or the picture is ruined."[/citation]
have yet to use a camera that isn't like that... newest one i used is that 8mp cybershot... anything in stores i cant take photos with so i cant speak for the most recent ones, but i believe the cybershot was 350$ new.

[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]Another thing is why would anyone want to shoot with 41mp and not in RAW format? you already have a compressed jpeg to start with[/citation]

because its using the enhanced sensor to make the photos look immaculate at lower mp,

i have seen the still shots this thing can take, they are FAR nicer than the cybershot we have, and better than 90% of non dslr photos i see online.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]This is a bunch of BS marketing, the MP rating on a sensor this small is a JOKE do yourself a favor a go buy a decent DSLR...[/citation]

Well actually this camera has very big sensor! Much bigger than in most real poket cameras! Ofcourse real professional cameras has bigger sensot, but they cost 1000$ or more...
This is excelent symbina phone and if you are not in hurry, there will be windows version when the next mobile windows will be released, so this kind of hardware can be utilised.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
while the phone has some of the best picture quality of any other smartphone, it still can't beat many current point and shoot cameras.

remember sensor resolution means nothing. What is important is the absolute resolution which measures the smallest unit of detail that the camera can capture compared to a reference chart.

just by looking at some of the sample images, it is clear that the camera performs at around the level of a 7-8 megapixel point and shoot (a decent quality one and not the cheap $30 8mp ones)

keep in mind that today, most point and shoot cameras, even the ones in the $300 - $400 range, can't escape the single digits of megapixels, the top end point shoots go up to about 5 megapixels of real resolution, and the average priced $150-250 ones hover around 3 megapixels

this changes when you get into the DSLR $600 and up range, that is when the camera's true resolution becomes more closely matched with the sensor resolution and escape the single digits of true megapixels, with the almost perfect 1 to 1 matches coming in at around the $30,000 price range (eg the high end hassleblad cameras)

ps if you are going to spend more than $200 on a camera then just save up and make the jump to a DSLR. With point and shoot cameras, you start to get exponentially diminishing returns after $ 200, but with a DSLR, you start to get better value than the $200 point and shoot cameras.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]while the phone has some of the best picture quality of any other smartphone, it still can't beat many current point and shoot cameras.remember sensor resolution means nothing. What is important is the absolute resolution which measures the smallest unit of detail that the camera can capture compared to a reference chart.just by looking at some of the sample images, it is clear that the camera performs at around the level of a 7-8 megapixel point and shoot (a decent quality one and not the cheap $30 8mp ones)keep in mind that today, most point and shoot cameras, even the ones in the $300 - $400 range, can't escape the single digits of megapixels, the top end point shoots go up to about 5 megapixels of real resolution, and the average priced $150-250 ones hover around 3 megapixelsthis changes when you get into the DSLR $600 and up range, that is when the camera's true resolution becomes more closely matched with the sensor resolution and escape the single digits of true megapixels, with the almost perfect 1 to 1 matches coming in at around the $30,000 price range (eg the high end hassleblad cameras)ps if you are going to spend more than $200 on a camera then just save up and make the jump to a DSLR. With point and shoot cameras, you start to get exponentially diminishing returns after $ 200, but with a DSLR, you start to get better value than the $200 point and shoot cameras.[/citation]

any half way decent sub 100$ cameras? im asking because you seem to know the most... been looking for years for something cheap thats decent, and cant get dslr because i am very cheap... i dont mind used, so long as its sd and works.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
It's like buying a car with a 400hp engine.
It may be a Ferrari... or a Dodge Pickup Truck.

They are both good for dating, but with decidedly different results. :)

41MP means nothing if you don't have a lens that can support that resolution !

Status
Not open for further replies.