Nokia Suing Apple Over Patent Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
[citation][nom]ubernoobie[/nom]... Apple, what did u do wrong now?[/citation]

more like 'when'... did you go wrong? that's not the first time.
by the way... they are not the first nor the last to do so.
makes me so unsurprised.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
well... at least its not more microsoft... or intel lawsuits... i was kinda getting jaded over those. I wonder what exactly the patents outline. I have my money on Nokia they make some really good stuff, too bad half of them never came to the US.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I love this type of news...Apple takes out a patent for an ad sponsored OS, which they would defend if they had to, yet they are infringing on patents of other companies and refuse to pay up!
Way to go Apple! [/sarcasm]

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I dunno which way to go on this. I mean, I'm a fan of Nokia and Finland, and definitely not an Apple fan... But this is another one of those cases of "Well why is this happening now?" As the article said, it's been 2 years.

They've been debating/gathering a case for 2 years before suing? Seems odd. I wouldn't be one to paint Nokia as a money-grubbing company, but still, seems odd. Need more information.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Naturally this begs the question "why didn't they stop them a long time ago"? I wouldn't call this money grubbing especially because it's not like Apple is the only ones (they aren't Rambus you know :) ). If they violated the patents which obviously they did for the 3G, GSM and wireless LAN.

It doesn't surprise me to see Apple in this mess.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]They've been debating/gathering a case for 2 years before suing? [/citation]
Why not? If they win, Nokia could get a BIGER settlement due to the iPhone's value and popularity now that 2 years ago.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]...it's been 2 years. They've been debating/gathering a case for 2 years before suing? Seems odd. I wouldn't be one to paint Nokia as a money-grubbing company, but still, seems odd. Need more information.[/citation]

A good 6 months to a year of that could have been trying to talk to Apple and either get them to license it or an out of court settlement of some kind. Then some of it could be researching/reverse engineering some parts of it to make sure it does indeed violate patents, then the rest could be used to fully prepare thier case.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... but just now? as nokia start loosing marketshare in the smartphone segment? as yet, nokia haz not be able to produce a 'iphone killer'... the attempts are pathetic...

G

to DjEaZy:

typical apple fanboys........! LOL

stealing other companies patents is pathetic, making billions of dollars from other companies technologies and efforts and still refuse to pay them the price is disgusting...!

what the f is wrong with you?! i bet you have an iPhone!

bucifer

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
So Toms is turning into gossip trash. I especially like the last paragraph, veeerrryyy professional guys.

So where are the news?
Thank you Worst of Media YOU KNOW WE LUV YA!

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Hell.. This time they are in for it big time. They really fucked up actually. And im more than positive that Nokia will get the most and best out of whatever there is left in iPhones/apple.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
nokia's wonderful 3G "invention" stands on the shoulders of about 50 predecessors before them. as soon as nokia pays them, i'm sure apple will happily cough up the funds.

perhaps it isnt any more idiotic than amazon saying they invented one-click to buy and patented it.

its like saying "i didnt invent letters or spacing or even carriage returns but i did invent the paragraph. so everybody pay up."

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Doesn't matter who invented it first but who patented it first, just argue that with Alexander Gram Bell and Elisha Gray. Same invention but Bell got to the patent first.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
It sounds like Apple saw that cell phones were popular devices, and simply decided to build one without doing any research. Surely they had to realize most technology in modern phones must have been patented by someone? Considering Nokia's claims that they have already licensed said technologies to 40+ other company's, its going to be very hard to Apple to squirm their way out of this one.

gravitygirl

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
If Nokia really owns the 3G technology then how did the chipsets get manufactured by Infineon for Apple's handset in the first place? And you can't blame PirateBay anymore either. Shouldn't the chipset manufacturer be paying Nokia when they "print" a copy of their 3G chipset and attach it to a board? Or perhaps Nokia should trademark the 3G name so nobody can use it without paying them a dollar. Haven't these types of problems already been worked out all over the world? Sue Apple two years into their production run? Dumb.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]I dunno which way to go on this. I mean, I'm a fan of Nokia and Finland, and definitely not an Apple fan... But this is another one of those cases of "Well why is this happening now?" As the article said, it's been 2 years.They've been debating/gathering a case for 2 years before suing? Seems odd. I wouldn't be one to paint Nokia as a money-grubbing company, but still, seems odd. Need more information.[/citation]

Legal battles in court take a long time with major corporations. Always does. We just now hear of it because it might be coming to a close. Normally the first step is the accussing company sending the papwerwork accusing them. Then the other responds and back and forth with their over paid lawyers.

In the end, we only see the ending of these kinds of lawsuits.

I for one am a tad suprised to hear of it, especially against Apple. Normally its "MS this, MS that, MS is evil" blah blah blah....

Status
Not open for further replies.