Nokia USA Reveals Plans for PureView Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

osserc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Yeah, why would anyone be excited to have the most impressive smartphone camera technology on the planet paired with arguably the best smartphone OS available? /s

Maybe you guys just don't like taking pictures with your phone...

frozonic

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
41 megapixels?? damn.... thats sick... and awesomee! lets hope they can keep the prices down and the camera lenses are good

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I bet classzero and caedenv were crapping their pants when they heard the iphone4s had an 8MP camera though.

On the flip side, i'm sure that it doesn't scale accordingly, there are points where spec numbers just become selling point jargon, looking at the Bulldozer octocore that can be OC'd stably to, what 6 GhZ and still gets spanked by a stock 2500 at 3.4.

frozonic

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
[citation][nom]osserc[/nom]Yeah, why would anyone be excited to have the most impressive smartphone camera technology on the planet paired with arguably the best smartphone OS available? /sMaybe you guys just don't like taking pictures with your phone...[/citation]

well.. to be honest with you i dont like symbian, its good and all but the its app store is not very wide, thats why i have an iphone, you can find ANY app you can imagine

hackholm

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
well.. to be honest with you i dont like symbian, its good and all but the its app store is not very wide, thats why i have an iphone, you can find ANY app you can imagine

I believe that poster was referring to the Windows Phone OS, not Symbian.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]osserc[/nom]Yeah, why would anyone be excited to have the most impressive smartphone camera technology on the planet paired with arguably the best smartphone OS available? /sMaybe you guys just don't like taking pictures with your phone...[/citation]
Actually I am waiting for a Nokia phone. I have always been a huge nokia fan back in the old days, and used a nokia brick phone until just a few months ago. Even when they fell behind on the OS tech they still made good quality devices that were relatively durable and did not break the bank to purchase. And most importantly, even their cheap phones made nice clear phone calls, which is something that cannot be said for a vast majority of the phones on the market today.

I also absolutely love what I have seen of WP7.5, and WP8 will be the time when I finally make the jump and get my first smartphone (no SD card was a deal breaker for me on WP7).

That being said, I also went to school for multimedia post production and learned very quickly that resolution is rarely the quality issue once you get above 8MP. After 8MP it is all about the color depth, lighting, optics, and sensitivity of the CCDs. I watched the promo video for the tech (ironically only available in 720p... which should probably tell you something), and while it is nice, it is hardly something to be considered 'special'.

So I will say it again... meh

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Internetlad[/nom]I bet classzero and caedenv were crapping their pants when they heard the iphone4s had an 8MP camera though.On the flip side, i'm sure that it doesn't scale accordingly, there are points where spec numbers just become selling point jargon, looking at the Bulldozer octocore that can be OC'd stably to, what 6 GhZ and still gets spanked by a stock 2500 at 3.4.[/citation]

Right, but the point of the insanely high number of pixels is for high quality digital zoom. When you use digital 2x zoom, you're roughly cutting the effective pixel count in half. Go to 4x zoom, cut it to a 4th. Then you rely on some algorithm to fill in the space. If you start with an insanely high pixel count, it allows you to get higher quality zoom with having an actual zoom lense, which would be somewhat impractical on a phone.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
let me get the nokia 808 soon!
symbian is for me a epic and lately an extremely good/stable os, it only lack in games. the apps in the store fully enables all i need for programs mails etc, i dont game on phones i got pcs all ower. if you feel the camera feels to gimmicky check out the photos taken amazing, yes they are from nokia but the n8 photos from nokia matched my own n8 photos quite well. to bad they are going w7/w8 might be my last nokia ;(

_TuxUser_

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
Don't wait for Santa to bring you the 42MP camera to Lumia this X-Mas, as uncle Microsoft has said they will not have a driver for it until earliest Q2 2013.

The issue isn't Nokia, but the slowness of Microsoft, not like Symbian and MeeGo which both had drivers made in a short time according to key partners to Nokia.

osserc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]Actually I am waiting for a Nokia phone. I have always been a huge nokia fan back in the old days, and used a nokia brick phone until just a few months ago. Even when they fell behind on the OS tech they still made good quality devices that were relatively durable and did not break the bank to purchase. And most importantly, even their cheap phones made nice clear phone calls, which is something that cannot be said for a vast majority of the phones on the market today.I also absolutely love what I have seen of WP7.5, and WP8 will be the time when I finally make the jump and get my first smartphone (no SD card was a deal breaker for me on WP7).That being said, I also went to school for multimedia post production and learned very quickly that resolution is rarely the quality issue once you get above 8MP. After 8MP it is all about the color depth, lighting, optics, and sensitivity of the CCDs. I watched the promo video for the tech (ironically only available in 720p... which should probably tell you something), and while it is nice, it is hardly something to be considered 'special'.So I will say it again... meh[/citation]

Personally I thought the demo of the tech was very impressive compared to other smartphone cameras. It'll never stack up to an SLR or even a decent point-and-shoot dedicated camera, but for a smartphone it was great.

Pushing the boundaries of what is physically capable with a smartphone should be applauded, and since I'm a fan of the WP environment anyway, I'm excited to have this camera tech tacked on.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
It's not about megapixels. It's about sensor area and making EACH pixel look good. You don't want dark blury photos with lots of noise, even with 100 megapixels. Having less megapixels will allow more sensor area per pixel and increase the sensitvity. So basically Less > More. Personally I think 5 megapixels is enough for nearly everything.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]It's not about megapixels. It's about sensor area and making EACH pixel look good. You don't want dark blury photos with lots of noise, even with 100 megapixels. Having less megapixels will allow more sensor area per pixel and increase the sensitvity. So basically Less > More. Personally I think 5 megapixels is enough for nearly everything.[/citation]
[citation][nom]osserc[/nom]Personally I thought the demo of the tech was very impressive compared to other smartphone cameras. It'll never stack up to an SLR or even a decent point-and-shoot dedicated camera, but for a smartphone it was great.Pushing the boundaries of what is physically capable with a smartphone should be applauded, and since I'm a fan of the WP environment anyway, I'm excited to have this camera tech tacked on.[/citation]

Which is why 808 PureView doesn't really have great 41 MPx camera, but actually 5MPx camera. It's all in software actually. It has 41 MPx sensor but lower resolution shots are oversampled to achieve higher quality pictures than any other phone camera, and actually better than premium compact cameras such as Panasonic Lumix LX5. At low light level 5MPx shots it actually is getting close to standard quality of D-SLR cameras.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The idea of insane MP CCD is good as long as it have the same sensitivity and colour depth as the regular ones, why? Digital zoom - No need to have expensive optical zoom any more, just need focus for the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.